Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Explore China while studying at one of the world’s leading universities when you participate in the School of Fashion's Hong Kong Exchange Program!
Through the School of Fashion's exchange program with Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU), students broaden their understanding and experience in product development, business, technology and production management in the textiles and apparel industry.
SPRING 2021 PROGRAM DATES
Jan. 6-May 11
- Exact program dates vary, dependent upon PolyU's academic calendar.
- Selective admission - only five students (max) are selected each spring semester.
- A minimum 2.500 overall GPA. However, to be competitive, at least a 3.00 overall GPA is recommended.
- Successfully complete all sophomore (20000-level) fashion design or fashion merchandising courses prior to participating.
- Strongly recommended for junior-level students only. Any participating senior-level fashion merchandising student or senior-level fashion design student will have delayed graduation.
- Consult your academic advisor to plan for your study-away experience and ensure that it corresponds with your academic goals and graduation plan.
- Students enroll in PolyU courses and will need to complete a Transfer Course Plan Form with their academic advisor to have PolyU's courses applied to their fashion degree at Kent State.
- Students are required to enroll in at least 12 credit hours.
- Junior-level design and merchandising courses, select senior-level merchandising courses and FDM Elective courses are offered. However, course offerings may vary by semester.
- Courses available to exchange students are taught in English.
PolyU provides on-campus housing accommodations for our students. Exchange students are guaranteed a twin-sharing room (no single rooms available) in one of the student residence halls.
Program costs include, but are not limited to:
Owed to Kent State University:
|Kent State Tuition||(in-state & out-of-state rates)|
|Office of Global Education Exchange Program Fee||$250|
|International Health Insurance||$196|
Out-of-pocket expenses (estimated):
|Office of Global Education Application Fee||$60|
PolyU Program Application Fee
*Includes student VISA application fees
Through the generous support of the Robert Broadbent Endowed Scholarship, the Fashion School is pleased to offer up to five $3,000 merit-based scholarships to apply toward Kent State Fashion School’s Hong Kong Polytechnic University Exchange Program.
The application for this scholarship is due Monday, Jan. 27, 2020 by 5 p.m. The application consists of a one-page essay and a résumé. Selection of the students for this award will be made early in March with attendance at HKP in the following spring term (late January through early May).
Typical Award: Five $3,000 awards (subject to change)
Majors Eligible: Design and Merchandising
Class Standing Eligible: Junior or senior who has at least one remaining semester to return to KSU after the HKP exchange is completed
Study Away Pre-Approval Application: The online application is available Sept. 15 - Dec. 15, 2019.
Program Application: Eligible students will receive access to the online program application in January. Application deadline is Feb. 1, 2020. All accepted applicants will be notified Feb. 15, 2020.
- School of Fashion: www.kent.edu/fashion/study-away
- HK Polytechnic University: www.polyu.edu.hk/international/incoming-students
- Kent State Tuition Information: www.kent.edu/tuition
- Dr. Kim Hahn at FSstudyaway@kent.edu