Dr. Scott Rudlosky is a Physical Scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) co-located with the Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies (CISESS) in College Park, Maryland. Dr. Rudlosky graduated from Ohio State University in 2004 and presently has an affiliate appointment at Kent State University. His research has focused on the Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM) since NOAA began supporting his doctoral work at Florida State University in 2007. He serves as the National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS) subject matter expert on lightning and GLM science lead. Scott was awarded the prestigious NOAA David Johnson Award in 2018 and both the Department of Commerce Silver Medal and NOAA Administrator’s Awards in 2020. He taught a course on mesoscale meteorology for 5 years at the University of Maryland, and has mentored dozens of scholars at various stages of their high school, undergraduate, graduate, and/or postgraduate studies.
- Rudlosky, S. D., and K. S. Virts, 2021: Dual geostationary lightning mapper observations. Mon. Wea. Rev., 149, 979–998.
- Rudlosky, S. D., and co-authors, 2020: Geostationary Lightning Mapper value assessment. NOAA Tech. Rep. NESDIS 153, 46 pp., https://doi.org/10.25923/2616-3v73.
- Rudlosky, S. D., S. J. Goodman, and K. S. Virts, 2020: Chapter 16 - Lightning Detection: GOES-R Series Geostationary Lightning Mapper, The GOES-R Series, Elsevier, pp. 193–202.
- Rudlosky, S. D., Goodman, S. J., Virts, K. S., & Bruning, E. C., 2019: Initial geostationary lightning mapper observations. Geophys. Res. Lett., 46, 1097–1104.
- Rudlosky, S.D., M.J. Peterson, and D.T. Kahn, 2017: GLD360 performance relative to TRMM LIS. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 34, 1307–1322.
- Rudlosky, S. D., M. A. Nichols, P. C. Meyers, and D. F. Wheeler, 2016: Seasonal and annual validation of operational satellite precipitation estimates. J. Operational Meteor., 4, 58–74.
- Rudlosky, S. D., 2015: Evaluating ENTLN performance relative to TRMM/LIS. J. Operational Meteor., 3 (2), 11–20.
- Rudlosky S. D., and H. E. Fuelberg, 2013: Documenting storm severity in the Mid-Atlantic region using lightning and radar information. Mon. Wea. Rev., 141, 3186–3202.
- Rudlosky S. D., and D. T. Shea, 2013: Evaluating WWLLN performance relative to TRMM/LIS. Geophy. Res. Lett., 40, 2344–2348, doi:10.1002/grl.50428.
- Rudlosky S. D., and H. E. Fuelberg, 2011: Seasonal, regional, and storm-scale variability of cloud-to-ground lightning characteristics in Florida. Mon. Wea. Rev., 139, 1826–1843.
- Rudlosky S. D., and H. E. Fuelberg, 2010: Pre- and postupgrade distributions of NLDN reported cloud-to-ground lightning characteristics in the contiguous United States. Mon. Wea. Rev., 138, 3623–3633.
- Department of Commerce Silver Medal (2020)
- NOAA Administrator’s Award (2020)
- NOAA David Johnson Award (2018)
- Invited Presenter, AGU Centennial Plenary (2018)
- Invited Participant, AMS Weather, Water, and Climate Day on Capitol Hill (2014)
- Krider Scholarship for the International Lightning Meteorology Conference (2010)