The Kent State LGBTQ+ Center supports an inclusive environment on all KSU campuses, advocates for all individuals and community groups based on sexual and gender identity, and promotes physical, mental and academic wellness.
The center is a welcoming environment to LGBTQ students and their allies. The informed staff strives to educate the campus community about sexual orientation and gender identity to ensure Kent State University remains a safe space for all students.
Save these dates!
1. 2023 Lavender Graduation
Lavender Graduation builds on the university-wide commencement events as an officially supported ceremony honoring the achievements of graduating LGBTQ+ and ally students at Kent State University. This year, Lavender Graduation will be Friday, May 5th, 2023, from 6-8:30pm in the Kent Student Center Ballroom. Our keynote speaker will be Michael Varrati, MA 07', Screenwriter, Filmmaker, TV/radio host. This dinner and awards celebration is free, but registration is required.
Lavender Graduation Awards 2023
As part of Lavender Graduation, we take a moment to recognize the accomplishments and contributions of the graduating students during their time on campus. We welcome any enrolled student, faculty, or staff member to nominate a graduating student for the awards listed below:
- Bridge Builder Award: An ally or student organization that has worked collaboratively with LGBTQ+ organizations on campus to create a better place for LGBTQ+ identified people.
- Out & Proud Student Leader Award: An LGBTQ+ identified student who exemplifies student leadership.
- Rising Star Award: First year student who has made tremendous effort to bring visibility, support, and leadership to the LGBTQ+ community at KSU.
- Faculty/Staff Award: Awarded to a faculty/staff member who has worked to create a better world for LGBTQ+ identified people.
- Community Award: Awarded to a community member who has worked to create a better environment on campus, in Kent, or in Ohio for LGBTQ+ identified people.
Nominate Someone for 2023 LavGrad Award
2. LGBTQ+ Scholarships Informational Session
Join the LGBTQ+ Center to learn about LGBTQ+ scholarships available to Kent State students and how to apply! We will have two guest speakers: a past scholarship winner and a representative from the Financial Aid Office. April 13th from 1-2pm in the LGBTQ+ Center (KSC 024)
3. LGBTQ+ Advocacy Workshop
Come learn how to advocate for the LGBTQ+ community! April 18th from 3:30-5pm in the LGBTQ+ Center (KSC 024)
Support Students in Need
The LGBTQ+ Center's emergency fund is available for students in need of additional funding for books, academic supplies, household items, housing, or food.
Contribute to the LGBTQ+ Emergency Fund