Parents and Families
Save the date: Virtual panel “So your kid came out as LGBTQ+…What now?” November 30th, 2023, from 5:30-7pm.
Come listen to a panel of parents, students, and professionals discuss their experiences surrounding topics of coming out.
- Emmett Drugan, MEd, LPC, CDCA, NCC, Navigate Counseling, KSU Alumni 2020
- Sandy Varndell, LSW, Founder and President, OutSupport, Inc, KSU Alumni 1984.
Registration is required and will be open soon. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Organizations/Websites to Explore
Open and Affirming Religious Organizations
- Christ Episcopal Church 118 South Mantua St. Kent, OH 44240. Phone: 330-673-4604
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Kent 228 Gougler Ave. Kent, OH 44240. Phone: 330-673-4247
- United Church of Christ 1400 E Main St. Kent, OH 44240. Phone: 330-673-9534
- Hillel Kent State (Cohn Jewish Student Center) 613 E Summit St. Kent, OH 44240. Phone: 330-678-0397
- Kent Friends Meeting (Quaker) UCM Lounge at the United Methodist Church. 1435 E. Main St. Kent, OH 44240. Phone: 330-928-3041
- Islamic Society of Akron and Kent 152 East Steels Corner Road, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44244. Phone: 330-922-9991
- "This Is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids: A Question & Answer Guide to Everyday Life" By Dannielle Owens-Reid & Kristin Russo
- "Beyond Acceptance: Parents of Lesbians & Gays Talk About Their Experiences" By Carolyn Griffin, Marian & Arthur Wirth
- "Coming Around: Parenting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Kids" By Anne Dohrenwend
- "Helping Your Transgender Teen: A Guide for Parents" By Irwin Krieger
- "Mom, I’m Gay: Loving Your LGBTQ Child Without Sacrificing Your Faith" By Susan Cottrell
- PFLAG NYC Suggested Reading List