Why Liberal Studies?
Though the College of Arts and Sciences offers 42 master’s programs, some students prefer to take a multidisciplinary, individualized approach to graduate education, often because of career and professional goals.
The Master of Liberal Studies at Kent State University is a College of Arts and Sciences master’s program that can be tailored to the specific interests and needs of the student. Under the guidance of the Program Director, students select courses from across the university, including online courses, to form their own individualized and integrated program of study. In addition to standard classroom-style courses, students can select up to 6 hours of internship or practicum and up to 6 hours of research.
Kent State University is one of 6 institutions in Ohio to offer the Master of Liberal Studies (MLS) degree, but the only one that allows you to take courses from any college or school in the university. It also has the fewest required courses: only ONE required course, AS 61000 Introduction to Liberal Studies, which is described on the Program Requirements page.
Match Majors to Careers
"MyPlan" Major and Career Info
- Career Assessments - Login and completion of exercises to reveal best career-fit
- Research Careers - Browsing database, videos, top ten lists, and more
- Salary Calculator - Salaries by career and geographic area
U.S. Department of Labor Websites
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Learning about occupations including job responsibilities, salaries, education required, and job outlook
- Career One Stop - Exploration of careers, salary and benefits, training required, and job seeker services by state
- O*Net - Quick search tool for Ohio jobs data and more