Porthouse Theatre's 2021 Season Recognized by Cleveland Critics Circle Awards
Porthouse Theatre, Kent State University's summer professional theatre located in Cuyahoga Falls OH, is thrilled to be recognized by the Cleveland Critics Circle for achievements during the 2021 season. Porthouse is particularly honored to receive this recognition following the shut down of live, in-person theatre in 2020 and the return in-person performances in 2021.
Porthouse's 2021 season featured the musicals Quilters, directed by producing artistic director Terri Kent; BKYLN The Musical, directed by executive producer Eric van Baars; and Altar Boyz, directed by Terri Kent.
The Cleveland Critics Circle recognized Porthouse Theatre's 2021 season in the following categories:
- Terri Kent, Best Actress in a Musical for her role in Quilters
- Terri Kent, Best Director of a musical for her direction of Quilters
- Martín Céspedes, Best Choreographer for his work on Altar Boyz
- Jonathan Swoboda, Best Musical Direction for his work on Altar Boyz
- The Ensemble of Quilters: Terri Kent, Danielle Dorfman, Stella Fisher, Hannah Hensler, Israeljah Khi-Reign, Megan Polk, Alexis Wilson and Cameron Olin, Best Overall Ensemble (Unified Cast) in a Musical for their performances in Quilters
- Porthouse Theatre's production of Quilters: Honorable Mention, Best Musical
Porthouse Theatre also congratulates its alumni recognized by the Cleveland Critics Circle for work during the region's 2021 season:
- Sandra Emerick, recognized as Best Actress in a Musical for her performance in Blank Canvas Theatre's production of Cabaret
- Amy Fritsche, recipeint of an Honorable Mention in the Best Actress in a non-musical category for her performance in The Exonerated at Beck Center for the Arts
- Jamie Koeth, recognized as Best Director of a non-musical for his direction of Apples in Winter for Seat of the Pants Productions
- Colleen Longshaw Jackson, recipient of an Honorable Mention in the Best Director of a non-musical for her direction of The Exonerated at the Beck Center for the Arts
About the Cleveland Critics Circle Theater Awards
The Cleveland Critics Circle each year honors local theaters, performances, writers, performers and technicians of plays staged by Cleveland area professional theaters during the January 1-December 31 year.
Voters: Kerry Clawson (Akron Beacon Journal), Sheri Gross (Cleveland Jewish News, The Lorain Journal, The News Herald), Laura Kennelly (CoolCleveland.com), Mark Horning (WIX), and Roy Berko (Broadwayworld.com, CoolCleveland.com, www.royberko.info). Participation in these awards does not preclude individual critics from preparing their own recognitions.
For more information about the 2021 Cleveland Critics Circle Theater Awards, visit https://clevelandtheaterreviews.blogspot.com/2022/01/cleveland-critics-…
Joni Koneval, 330-672-0116, email@example.com