Frequently Asked Questions

Submit a question



If I cannot decide upon a major, is there someone or a class I can take that will help me?

You should contact a career expert  at Career Exploration and Development.  They can provide assistance with choosing a major based upon your career goals and interests.  There are two career exploration classes available:  US 20008, Career Construction and US 20009, Career and Life Planning. Each course is one credit hour and will count toward your degree hours. If you have questions about whether these courses are appropriate for you, please ask your advisor.

What is a "critical course?" What happens if I don't take it?

A course may be critical because it is a prerequisite for future courses. It may be critical in time because it is only offered once a year. It may be critical because it requires a minimum grade, such as "C." The purpose of a roadmap is to guide you through your degree program in a timely manner. Missing a critical course may put you off track and push back your graduation. You may be receiving "warnings" from your college office that you are "off track" for graduation.

What do I do if I decide to change my major after I have been admitted?

If you decide to change your major once you have been admitted, you should contact the Admissions Office at 330-672-2444 or the Admissions Office at your campus. If you have already begun your course work, Admissions will direct you to the appropriate college office.

Is there an online catalog?

The official University Catalog can be found here.

Where do I find out what classes are being offered?

The Schedule of Classes can be found here.

If I am a transfer student, how do I find out how my courses transfer and apply to my new major?

You can log on to your Flashline account using your student ID to access your transfer information. Another option is to contact the Transfer Center at 330-672-8950.  

Who do I contact if I want to talk with someone in person?

Begin with the Admissions Office (330-672-2444 or Admissions. That office will be able to direct your call to the appropriate person. If you will be attending a Regional Campus, contact the Admissions Office at that campus. Campus information may be found here.

Where do I find out what majors are about?

By hovering over an individual major on the GPS site, additional information will appear. By clicking on the major, you will be taken to the major's web page in the University Catalog.

How can I find out what majors are offered on different campuses?

A complete list of majors and the locations where they are offered is available on the GPS site.

What is a certificate?

Certificates deliver focused instruction and formalized guidance to students in areas that address contemporary, topical and/or workplace needs. These programs consist of no less than 15 credit hours and no more than 30. Students do not need to be in a degree-granting major to declare a certificate.

What is a minor?

A minor is a secondary field of study used to complement or be in an addition to a major and is represented by a set of department-determined courses, generally between 18 and 24 credit hours. You may select a minor outside your major's department and college.

What is a baccalaureate?

Kent State University offers more 250 baccalaureate programs of study. Also known as bachelor's degrees, most of these programs are designed to be completed in four years by full-time students. Kent State offers the following 11 bachelor's degrees in many disciplines: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor of General Studies (BGS), Bachelor of Music (BM), Bachelor of Applied Studies (BAS), Bachelor of Applied Horticulture (BAH), Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) and Bachelor of Radiologic and Imaging Sciences Technology (BRIT).

What if I start in the spring or summer semester, and the roadmap begins in the fall semester?

Your academic advisor will work with you to adjust your roadmap to accommodate your start time.

If I change my major, how do I update my Plan?

Academic advisors are available in each college to assist students with creating and updating their roadmaps.  You must have a new approved Plan if you change your major or if you add minors or certificates to your program. New students are assigned advisors once they register for classes. To find your advisor, log on to Flashline.

What is a roadmap?

A roadmap is a list of course requirements for undergraduate programs that must be met for you to graduate with a specific major. It is presented in a semester-by-semester layout for easy understanding. Roadmaps also identify courses and other milestones that are critical (they are in boldface and shaded) for students to complete in a particular semester to be on track for timely graduation.

What if I don't know what to declare as my major?

If you haven't yet determined a major, you can look at the 13 interest areas listed on the GPS website. They briefly describe the characteristics of the person who may be interested in one of the many majors included in each area. If you are still undecided, you may enter the Kent State as an Exploratory major. Exploratory majors have opportunities for extensive career/major exploration during their freshman year. You may want to contact the Career Services Center (330-672-2360 or Career Services) to meet with a career counselor. This is a free service to Kent State students. There are also two career exploration classes you may consider.  Your academic advisor can assist you with enrollment.


What are Interest Areas?

These organize the majors offered by Kent State University into cognate groups. They help students and prospective students find all the programs related to a general area of study.

How do I find out what programs are available?

Go to the "Browse Programs" section of the Graduation Planning System (GPS) website to view all programs.

Who do I contact for graduate admissions information?
What graduate degrees are offered?

Kent State University offers graduate degrees at the master's, educational specialist, doctoral and professional levels.  Choose the "Search by Degree" dropdown for a complete list.