Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health (Ph.D) Degrees
The Kent State University College of Public Health was created to bridge public safety and health career pathways and to address a nationwide shortage of public health workers by the year 2020.
The Ph.D. in Public Health includes three specialty areas – Epidemiology, Health Policy and Management, and Prevention Science. Kent State is proud to be one of only two schools to offer Ph.D. in Public Health.
Ph.D. courses are held at the Kent Campus. The curriculum consists of a minimum of 91 credit hours organized in five curricular domains:
- Prerequisites (13 credit hours)*
- Core courses (12 credit hours)
- Courses required for each specialization (24 credit hours)
- Content-related Elective courses (11 credit hours)
- Dissertation (30 credit hours)
*If a student does not have an MPH then the student must complete the prerequisite MPH courses (13 credit hours) before enrolling in doctoral-level courses.
The curriculum for each of the three Ph.D. in Public Health programs at Kent State University is designed to help students develop applied knowledge and skills needed to pursue success in the public health industry.
UNIVERSITY CATALOG SEARCH PROGRAMS Learn More Apply Now
Source: Association of Schools of Public Health, 2009.
- Ph.D. in Public Health, Epidemiology
- Ph.D. in Public Health, Health Policy and Management
- Ph.D. in Public Health, Prevention Science
Ph.D. in Public Health Program Application Requirements:
The recommended requirements for the Ph.D. in Public Health program are:
- Master's degree from an accredited college/university in a related discipline
- Minimum graduate GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale
- Acceptable GRE scores (or other approved standardized graduate admission exam with a quantitative component). Scores older than five years are not acceptable
- A personal statement and a resume or curriculum vitae
- 3 Letters of Recommendation from college or university faculty
- TOEFL score, as applicable
- Required interview with faculty
Apply for Admission to Kent State's Ph.D. in Public Health Programs
1. Apply online to the College of Public Health Ph.D. program
2. Email admission questions to email@example.com