Academic S.T.A.R.S. (Students Achieving and Reaching for Success) is a six-week cultural transition and retention program designed for newly admitted African-American, Latinx, Hispanic, Native American and Multiracial freshmen. The program helps to prepare students to achieve academic success, enrich their college experience and explore their cultural heritage. All students are welcome to join.
As a result of participating in the program, we hope students will:
- Develop academic, personal, professional and social skills
- Establish a community with peers, faculty and staff at Kent State University
- Enrich their cultural identity and self-awareness
The program is free with the exception of covering the administrative fee of approximately $100. Students selected to this program will receive two classes at the university level, plus meals and lodging during the six weeks of the program.
Summer Program Schedule and Information
- Monday, February 1: Application Opens
- Friday, April 9: Application Closes
- Saturday, April 24: Interview & Selection Day
- Sunday, June 6: Students Move In
- Monday and Tuesday, June 8-9: DKS Date
- Thursday, June 10: Classes Begin
- Friday, July 23: Students Move Out
If you need any additional information or have any questions, please contact the Student Multicultural Center at (330) 672-3560 or via email at STUDENT_MULTICULTURAL_CENTER@kent.edu
S.T.A.R.S Student Success Stories