Dr. Leveto is a sociological social psychologist. Her research extends applications of identity theory to emotions and mental health. She has interests in the Sociology of Autism and Neurodiversity. Dr. Leveto is currently working within the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, where she is working to embed career readiness competencies explicitly throughout curricular goals within the discipline and empirically examine pedagogical techniques to increase student engagement.
Dr. Leveto is a dedicated teacher, having prepared and taught over 16 different courses (and counting). She teaches both face-to-face and online courses and works to engage students in sociology through both traditional and innovative pedagogical methods. Dr. Leveto is active in the American Sociological Association, serving in a variety of roles (council member, newsletter editor, webmaster) over the years in both the Emotion Section and Teaching and Learning Section.
Dr. Leveto is active in the community, serving on various boards and within organizations such as The Hubbard House Underground Railroad Museum, N.A.A.C.P, and the League of Women Voters. She currently serves as the advisor of the Sociology Club.
Selected Professional Service Activities:
- Member, Kent State University Department of Sociology Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (2019 - )
- Faculty Advisor, Kent State University at Ashtabula, Sociology Club (2012 - )
- Co-Editor, American Sociological Association Teaching and Learning Section Newsletter Editor (2019 - )
- Board Member,Hubbard House Underground Railroad Museum, Ashtabula, OH (2018 - )
- Secretary, N.A.A.C.P. Ashtabula (2019 - )
- Board Member, Ashtabula League of Women Voters (2018 - )
- Representative, Ashtabula County Complete Count Census Committee, Ashtabula County, OH (2019)
- Founding Member, North East Ohio Protégé Project (2013 - )
- Chair, American Sociological Association, Sociology of Emotions, ad hoc Membership Committee (2017-18)
- Administrator, Online Community, “PhD Mamas” (2017 - )
- Leveto, Jessica A. 2018 “Toward a Sociology of Autism and Neurodiversity” Sociology Compass. Wiley.
- Leveto, Jessica A. 2018. “Exploring the Relationships Between Discrepancies in Perceptions of Emotional Performance Among College Students on Self-Esteem and Psychological Distress” Current Psychology. Springer.
- Leveto, Jessica A. 2016. “Happiness and Identity Theory” New Directions in Identity Theory and Research. Volume 1. Volume Editors Jan E. Stets and Richard T. Serpe. Oxford University Press.
- Leveto, Jessica A. and Will Kalkhoff. 2012. "Biosocial Interaction Rituals of Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Research Agenda for Neurosociology." Advances in Group Processes, Biosociology and Neurosociology Vol. 29. Volume Editor Will Kalkhoff. Series Edito
- Mothers, Mentors & Muses Honoree, Kent Women's Center (2014)
- Award Winning Poster: "Work Smarter, Not Harder: Integrating Instructional Videos into our Classes.", 20thAnnual Teaching Council Conference, Celebrating College Teaching at Kent State University (2013)
- Sage/Pine Forge Teaching Innovations & Professional Development Award, ASA Teaching & Learning Section & Sage/Pine Forge (2011)
- Lewis-Benson Award for Outstanding Teaching Recipient, Kent State University (2010)
- Department of Sociology Graduate Student Teaching Award Nominee, Kent State University (2009)
- Alpha Kappa Delta National Sociology Honor Society (2006)
- Pi Gamma Mu International Sociology Honor Society (2006)
- Iota Iota Iota Women Studies Honor Society, Edinboro University of PA (2005)
- Alpha Epsilon Lambda Graduate Student Honor Society, Edinboro University of PA (2005)