Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is Destination Kent State: Advising & Registration a required program for new students? A: Yes. All incoming first-year students are required to attend the Destination Kent State program.

Q: I have taken Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) tests in high school. How do I get credit for these exams? A: Kent State University awards college credit for most Advanced Placement exams with scores of three, four or five. The Honors College Website provides specific information about scores, credit and placement recommendations. If you are a high school student and you asked the College Board to send your scores to Kent State University, your scores will be evaluated when Kent State receives the score report. You and your degree-granting college will receive notification of credit by letter several weeks later. Kent State University awards college credit for most International Baccalaureate exams with scores of five or higher on the higher-level examinations. No credit can be posted until a student has enrolled as a Kent State University student. Please let the advisor you are meeting with during Destination Kent State: Advising and Registration know about the tests you have taken so they can accurately advise you.

Q: I took college courses while in high school. How are these courses evaluated for credit? A: If you took the courses at Kent State or at any of our regional campuses, you do not need to do anything, as these are already a part of your academic record. If you took courses at another institution, please request an official transcript to be sent to Kent State University, Office of Admissions. A transfer evaluation will then be completed and sent to you. If you have already received the transfer evaluation, please bring it with you to your session. You should also bring a copy of your college transcript in case your official transcript has not been evaluated by the time you attend Destination Kent State.

Q: Is it possible to change my reservation for the Destination Kent State: Advising & Registration program? A: There are three dates in August available for Advising and Registration, November 17th, January 7th and January 8th. Changing your scheduled date will limit your options. However, if you want to change your date, that is possible by logging back into your FlashLine account.

Q: What should I do if I want to change my major prior to or after attending the program? A: If you decide to change your major, you should contact the Admissions office at (330) 672-2444 as soon as possible. It is best to make the changes prior to making your appointment for Destination Kent State so that you can meet with the advisor for your major.

Q: I had an accommodation/was on an IEP in high school. Am I automatically eligible for accommodations at Kent State? A: Services for students with disabilities at Kent State University are based upon appropriate documentation, in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act, and an in-person intake with Student Accessibility Services(SAS) personnel. Guidelines for what constitutes “appropriate documentation” can be found either on the SAS website at Disability Documentation Guidelines or by calling 330-672-3391. Services cannot be provided until this documentation is submitted and approved. Information about the services and support they provide can be found on the SAS website or by calling them at 330-672-3391.

Q: What is the university’s immunization requirement? A: All students born after January 1, 1957, must show proof of 2 MMRs (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) in a lifetime or 1 in the last 6 years. Students from the following areas are required to have a tuberculosis screening test (TB/PPD/Mantoux) in the last 12 months: Africa, Eastern Europe, Russia, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean Islands, and Asia. There is an immunization requirement form that all students must complete and return to the university health center. Please refer to the University Health Services website for more information.