Maj Ragain Poetry Scholarship
About Maj Ragain
Maj Ragain (1940-2018) was a beloved creative writing professor and mentor. In memory of his many years serving the Kent community, his family has established the Maj Ragain Poetry Scholarship. Each year, under the leadership of the Wick Poetry Center, a committee comprised of Kent State creative writing faculty and Wick Poetry Center staff will award one Kent State student (undergraduate or graduate) the Maj Ragain Poetry Scholarship.
This $1,000 scholarship will support the student leading community poetry workshops and organizing a yearly poetry reading at Last Exit Books.
- All Kent State University undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at least part-time and in good standing at the university are eligible to apply.
- Submit 5 pages of original poetry and a two-page essay answering the question: “What is the value of poetry to a community?”
- Do not include your name or any other identifying information in your submission, including the file name. The scholarship award is judged blindly.
- Any identifying information will disqualify the scholarship application.
- In the cover letter section, include all of your current contact information.
- By applying, applicants confirm that they are available to lead TEN one-hour writing workshops in the Kent community (time, date, location TBD) during the school year. Applicants confirm that they are also available to organize a poetry reading at Last Exit Books. Applications open on February 1 and close on April 15 of each year. Scholarship winner will be notified in the summer.
- Scholarship winner will be notified in May 2023.
If you would like to donate to the Maj Ragain Poetry Scholarship, please click below: