Feminist Leadership Initiative
The Feminist Leadership Initiative Living-Learning Community, located in Prentice Hall, is specifically for students interested in exploring issues of gender equity and leadership.
According to “The Leadership Gap” published by Center for American Progress, women have outnumbered men on college campuses since 1988. Yet they have not moved up to positions of prominence and power in America at anywhere near the rate that should have followed.
Key findings from a recent national study indicate that among their findings “taking all evidence into consideration, a major contributor to the lack of women in positional leadership roles is due to continued inherent biases against women as leaders”. Additionally...women in general were underpaid and underrepresented in leadership, regardless of their performance.” (Longman and Madsen p. 9)
THROUGH THIS COMMUNITY, WE WILL:
- Provide opportunities for education, exploration, and engagement around issues of inequity with a focus on gender.
- Connect social, gender and world issues with classroom and out of classroom learning
- Explore a variety of leadership approaches and gain skills needed to compete in a global society
- Personal and professional growth
- Increased understanding of gender issuesImage
- Funding to attend a Leadership Conference
- Faculty/staff mentorship
- Networking opportunities with KSU alumni
- $100 book award each semester
PROGRAMS AND EVENTS:
- Feminist Leadership Series Workshops by the Leadership CenterImage
- National Leadership Conference
- Midterms and Meditation
- Monthly Speaker Series
- Weekly Wellness Activities
- Mentorship Program
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION:
The Feminist Leadership initiative is open to all majors at Kent State University interested in gender equity and leadership. Students living in this community are required to take (R)Evolution Leadership (1 credit hour) for Fall semester and participate in Elect Her and the Leadership Institute in the Spring semester.
HOW TO JOIN:
New to Kent State students who are interested in participating in the FLI-LLC should follow these steps:
- Select Prentice Hall and the Feminist Leadership Initiative on your residence hall application.
- Once accepted into the program you will receive instructions on how to register for US 10095 (R)Evolution Leadership (1 Credit Hour)
- If you need further assistance or have questions about this community, please contact the Women’s Center.
Kent State University Women’s Center
1200 E. Main Street
Kent, OH 44240