Types of Aid

This page will help you understand the different types of aid available.

There are four basic types of financial aid; scholarships, grants, loan and Federal Work Study. Also on this page you will find information on our campus-based financial aid programs.

NOTE: The priority processing deadline for application for the Kent State Student Financial Aid Office is March 1.

Campus-Based Programs

Some of the federal financial aid programs available to students are called campus-based programs. These programs are unique in that the federal government gives Kent State University a certain allocation of funds for the programs each academic year. Kent State University then distributes, or awards, these funds to students based on financial need, priority processing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1, and availability of funds. The following are campus-based programs:

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Nursing Loan
  • Federal Work-Study

The Student Financial Aid Office has a priority processing deadline for the FAFSA of March 1st each academic year. Eligible students who have their FAFSA processed by the government by March 1 will most likely receive funding for these programs. However, filing on time does not guarantee that a student will receive these funds.

Types of Aid


Kent State University offers a variety of scholarship opportunities for students enrolled at the Kent Campus and the Regional Campuses. Scholarship awards are based on a variety of criteria. Selection of winners will be made based on academic merit, demonstrated financial need, field of study, participation in a specific program, organization or activity, and/or any combination of the above.

Learn More About Scholarships


Grants are a form of Gift Aid and do not have to be repaid. Kent State University participates in five federal and three state grant programs.

Learn More About Grants


Loans are a form of self help aid and must be repaid. Take a look at the various types of federal and private loans available.

Learn More About Loans


Federal Work Study (FWS) is a type of self-help aid that must be earned. The FWS award will not be deducted from the student's bill. A student will receive a bi-weekly paycheck based on hours worked.

Learn More About Federal & State Aid