Master of Arts in Translation for German
Reach Out Today
Contact us today to learn more about our program!
Are you looking for a program where you can acquire your master’s in translation with a focus in German, and would like to be able to take your coursework online? Keep reading to learn all about our German translation degree and everything Kent State can provide!
About Our Master’s of Translation in German Program
Thanks to the Gawlicki Family Foundation, Kent State is able to offer our grad students our M.A. in Translation program online. Through their online coursework, students will be able to earn their master’s in German translation from anywhere in the world. And because of the structure of our online program, it’s ideally suited for students wanting to pursue an education while balancing work and family commitments.
Course Information for the Master’s Degree in Translation with a Concentration in German
Grad students who earn their German translation degree online through Kent State University will take a total of 36 semester hours of coursework, which includes a case study in translation as an exit project. Full-time students will finish the program in two years’ time. Part-time students, meanwhile, will obtain their master’s degree in translation in German in three to six years. For full details on the part-time option, visit our roadmap page for students.
Select courses our students will take as part of the M.A. in Translation, such as Project Management as well as Terminology and Computer Applications, will cross all six of our language concentrations. Other offerings in our catalog provide the opportunity for taking various German-specific courses, including:
- Practice of Translation in German
- German Scientific/Technical/Medical Translation
- German Literary and Cultural Translation
- Commercial/Legal/Diplomatic Translation in German
- Case Study in German Translation
Admission Information for Our German Translation Degree Online
The admission guidelines for our master’s of translation in German program include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- A CD or MP3/wav file with a five-minute oral sample in the applicant's first and second languages (conversational, not read from a script)
- Writing sample(s) in applicant's second language,1 which should be accompanied by a signed declaration that the sample is original work and that the applicant received no help in its preparation
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 550 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum79 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 77 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.5 IELTS score
- Minimum 58 PTE score
- Minimum 110 Duolingo English Test score
For full information on all program requirements, please visit the admission requirements page, and be sure to reach out to our staff with any questions you may have.
Our current tuition rate for our online German translation degree program is $536 per each credit hour. There are also additional costs for specific required courses, such as the Software Localization course ($45).
Your Opportunities with a Master’s in German Translation
As reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment rate for interpreters and translators is predicted to raise by 18% from 2016-2026.
Our students who earn their degree in German translation will be prepared for these new opportunities, with diverse career options that they can pursue. These include:
- Language consultants
- Professional translators
- Project managers
- Quality managers
- Much more
Why Does the Kent State Online German Translation Degree Stand Out?
With our 90% graduation rate, an exceptional faculty and staff, and classes that have been meticulously designed to instruct in key aspects of translation, localization, and language project management, our master’s degree in translation with a concentration in German is quite remarkable.
And since our classes are able to be taken completely online, our students are afforded with the chance to finish the program from wherever is convenient for them, and on the schedule that best suits their needs.
Learn More About Our Online Master’s Degree in Translation for German!
Want to learn more about all that Kent State can provide for you and your career? Request more information today!