Referring a Student to CAPS

Parents can help their student connect to mental health services by encouraging their student to call CAPS during regular business hours 330-672-2487 to schedule an initial consultation appointment.  If the student is hesitant to call, parents may assist their student in making this call.

If a parent is concerned about their student, or is unsure how to provide support, they may also contact our office during business hours and be connected with an on-call clinician who can provide immediate consultation and guidance. We also know that mental health concerns can impact an individual in a variety of ways, and parents may want to check out services provided by our campus partners to help get their student linked to additional supports. For students residing on campus, parents can also contact their student’s Residence Hall Staff  if they are concerned or unsure about the safety of their student.

If a student is currently at risk to themselves or others, parents should call 911 for immediate assistance.

Parents can also contact Kent State Police Services and request a “wellness check”—if deemed necessary, Kent State Police Services will talk directly with the student and determine whether additional evaluation and/or treatment may be needed. Kent State Police Services are trained in mental health crisis intervention and may have the student transported to the nearest emergency department or to Coleman Access for an emergency evaluation, if appropriate.

Learn more about the services provided by CAPS, including eligibility and fees.