Automatic Awarding of Associate Degree

Kent State University’s seven Regional Campuses will automatically award associate degrees to bachelor’s degree-seeking students who have completed all requirements for either an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree. 

To qualify, a Regional Campus student must

  • Be currently enrolled
  • Be taking at least one class in the current semester at a Regional Campus
  • Have completed or be currently enrolled in courses that meet the requirements of an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree
  • Have not already been awarded an associate degree elsewhere

According to 2013 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data, workers with an associate degree earn, on average, $126 more per week than a worker with a high school diploma and $50 more per week than a worker with some college credit but no degree.

Frequently Asked Questions (Spring 2015)

Q. Will I have to reapply for admission if I earn an associate degree?
A. No, you will not have to reapply for admission. You will just continue to enroll as you work toward your bachelor’s degree.

Q. Will I need to re-declare my major?
A. No, you will remain in your declared bachelor’s degree program.

Q. Will earning an associate degree impact my financial aid eligibility?
A. No, your financial eligibility will not be affected by earning the associate degree.

Q. Will my student loans go into repayment six months after I earn my associate degree?
A. No. As long as you are continuously enrolled and working on your bachelor’s degree, earning your associate degree will not change your loan repayment schedule. However, because loan counseling is required upon completion of any degree, you are required to complete exit loan counseling at

Q. Will I receive the Associate of Arts or the Associate of Science?  
A. If your bachelor’s degree is a Bachelor of Science you will receive the Associate of Science. All others will receive the Associate of Arts.

Q. Will I receive a diploma?
A. Yes, your associate degree diploma will be mailed to your permanent/diploma address as it appears in FlashLine. Please check your address for accuracy.

Q. Will the associate degree appear on my transcript?
A. Yes, your associate degree will be viewable on your transcript in FlashLine.

Q. Must I attend commencement to receive my associate degree?
A. No, you are not required to attend your campus commencement ceremony in order to receive your associate degree.

Q. Can I repeat a course at a later date if I have my associate degree?
A. Yes, courses taken as part of a completed associate degree may be repeated under course repeat policy.

Q. Can I use the Academic Forgiveness Policy if I have been awarded an associate degree?
A. The Academic Forgiveness Policy can apply to any course not used in awarding the associate degree.

Q. What should I do if I do not want an associate degree?
A. You can opt-out of receiving your associate degree by May 15, 2015. Complete the Opt-Out Form and return to the address on the form or you may scan and email the form to  


Q. If I opt-out of the associate degree can I change my mind and get it?
A. Yes, you can still choose to earn the degree by completing an undergraduate change of program and applying to graduate.

Q. What should I do if I already have an associate degree from another college or university?
A. You should select to opt-out by May 15, 2015.  

Columbiana Campuses Contact

Shelly Lingenfelter
Director for Enrollment Management and Student Services