Columbiana LGBTQ+ Advocates
Diversity may be the hardest thing for a society to live with, and perhaps the most dangerous thing for a society to be without. ~William Sloane Coffin, Jr.
The LGBTQ+ Advocates advance the diversity mission of Kent State University by advocating the development of a university environment that is inclusive and supportive of the academic, cultural, and social needs of LGBTQ+ students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Kent State University Columbiana Campuses, as well as members of the broader community of Columbiana County, Ohio.
As an academic support group, we also strive to enhance learning, engagement, and retention of LGBTQ+ students at our university. Our advocacy includes providing resources, educational opportunities, social gatherings and LGBTQ+ justice initiatives to all students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members at Kent State University Columbiana Campuses and beyond.
For more information please contact:
Did You Know?
- Kent State University has a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Student Center www.kent.edu/LGBTQ
- Columbiana County and the surrounding area have LGBTQ support groups
- Kent State University at Salem and Kent State University at East Liverpool each have a Universal Restroom
- Kent State Salem
- 2nd Floor, Centofanti Hall
- Kent State East Liverpool
- 1st Floor, Purinton Hall
- Kent State Salem
Hotlines for Students in Crisis
- The Trevor Lifeline: Preventing Suicide among LGBTQ Youth, 866-488-7386
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 800-273-8255 (and Online Chat)
- Help Hotline, 211 in Columbiana and Mahoning Counties
- Ally Organizations and Support Resources
- Social Organizations
- Out & About Youngstown, https://www.meetup.com/Out-About-Youngstown-LGBT-Social-Group/
- Unitarian Universalist Welcoming Congregation Committee, 330-746-3067, https://uuyo.org/home/welcoming-lgbtq/