Types of Financial Aid

Listed below are some of the most common forms of aid awarded to Kent State University students.

GRANTS (Funds that are not repaid)

  • Federal Pell Grant - Pell Grant eligibility is based on financial need according to a formula that is determined by the Department of Education.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) - The SEOG is a campus-based aid program with limited funding. This grant is intended for undergraduates with exceptional financial need.

STUDENT LOANS (Funds that must be repaid)

  • Federal Direct Loans - All students who meet the federal requirements are eligible for a Direct Loan. The lender for the Direct Loan program is the United States Department of Education.
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan - This loan is based on financial need. The federal government pays the interest and the principle is deferred on the loan as long as you are enrolled at least half-time.
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan -This loan is not based on financial need, and you are responsible for the interest while in school. You must contact the Financial Aid office to request this type of loan.
  • Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) - The PLUS loan is for parents of dependent students who wish to borrow aid to cover the cost of their child's education.
  • Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Nursing Loan - This is a campus-based loan program for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. Repayment is made to the school beginning nine months after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time status.


  • Federal Work-Study - Undergraduate students may be eligible for this program based on financial need. Eligible students work campus jobs and earn a paycheck that can be applied to financial expenses.