Meal Plan F.A.Q. | Dining Services | Kent State University

Meal Plan F.A.Q.

The following frequently asked questions are based on questions we have been receiving. If you have any additional questions, please call University Dining Services at (330) 672-2541.

Q. Can I use my meal Plan at off-campus locations?

A. Meal plans are only able to be used on-campus at the University Dining Services locations. However, there are a number of off-campus locations that will accept FLASHcash. For more information on FLASHcash please call the FLASHcard Office at 330-672-2273.

Learn more about the FLASHcard


Q. Where will I be able to use my meal swipes? 

A. You will be able to use meal swipes at Eastway Fresh Food Company, The Market & Prentice Cafe. You can also use a meal swipe in the Meal Exchange program at Rosie's Diner, Eastway Market, Munchies MarketGeorge T. Simon III Cafe & CUE Express


Q. How does meal exchange work?

A. Using your FLASHcard, you will be able to exchange a meal swipe for a predetermined combo meal at Rosie’s Diner, Eastway Market, Munchies Market, George T. Simon III Cafe or CUE Express. Meal exchange will be available at Rosie’s Diner and for all service hours at Eastway Cafe, Munchies Market. George T. Simon III Cafe and CUE Express. You can use up to 1 meal swipe per meal period (breakfast, lunch, dinner, late-night, overnight).


Q. Where will I be able to use my Declining Balance Dollars?

A. You will be able to use your declining balance at any dining location on campus. That includes locations such as the Markets, Starbucks & The HUB. You are also able to use your declining balance to pay the door rate to enter into the three all-you-care-to-eat dining halls: Eastway Fresh Food Company, The Market & Prentice Cafe. 


Q. can I add money to my meal plan if my Declining balance starts to run low? 

A. Yes, you are able to add value to your account at any time. You can add declining balance dollars to your FLASHcard through the FLASHcard website with a Mastercard, Visa or Discover.  You can also purchase another meal plan within the same semester. To sign up for another meal plan, please visit the FLASHcard Office located on the first floor of the Kent Student Center or call 330-672-2273. 


Q. i would like more declining balance than The flex plan offers. what can i do?

A. If you are an Upperclass Resident or Commuter Student looking to purchase the Flex Plan, you are welcome to add declining balance dollars to your account at any time. In addition, if you are running low on declining balance dollars you can add another Flex Plan to your account by signing up through your Student Dashboard in FlashLine or by calling the FLASHcard Office at 330-672-2273.


Q. How do i sign up for a meal plan?

A. If you are a First Year or Sophomore Resident student, you can sign up for your meal plan through your Residence Services Housing Application. If you are an Upperclass or Commuter student, you can purchase a meal plan through your Student Dashboard in FlashLine. You can also contact the FLASHcard Office at 330-672-2273. If you are a faculty or staff member, you can now sign up for a meal plan using payroll deduction. Sign up in Flashline, under additional employee resources. Select employee meal plan, fill out the form and you're ready to go!


Q. Can I switch my Meal Plan?

A. Students who need to change their meal plan can do so through their Student Dashboard in Flashline. Students have up until the second week of the semester to change meal plans. Meal plan changes for the term will be reflected on the student's account within 5-7 business days.


Q. what will happen to the remaining balance of my meal plan from fall to spring semester?

A. University Dining Services will advance all unused Declining Balance Dollars from semester to semester until the student graduates or leaves Kent State. This will occur regardless of the meal plan you have for the next semester.  Meal Swipes & Guest Meals will not transfer from Fall to Spring Semester.


Q. What if I have more questions about meal plans?

A. If you have any other questions about meal plans, you can contact University Dining Services by calling (330) 672-2541 or by emailing


Q. What if i need to request to not have a meal plan?

A. If you are required to be on a meal plan and want to request a food contract release, you will need to contact Charles Berry ( and fill out a food contract release form.

  1. If the request for canceling the meal plan is by the end of the Add/Drop period and there has been no usage of any part of the meal plan, the cancellation will be approved and a full refund processed.
  2. If the request occurs after the add/drop period and within 2 business days of the purchase, the cancellation will be approved and a full refund processed.

Jump to Top