University Dining Services Manager Saves Life of University Employee
Andy was working his shift at the Eastway Fresh Food Company dining hall when he heard a noise that was recently familiar to him.
“About a week earlier, my child was choking while eating and I had to save her from choking any further.” Said Herrera. “So, dealing with that not so long ago, when I heard the same noise, I knew that I had to react fast.”
Once Andy recognized that someone near him in the dining hall was choking, he quickly spring into action, preforming the Heimlich on the employee to save them from choking on their food. Afterwards, Andy was thankful he was able to remain calm and cool under pressure so that things did not get out of hand.
“My instincts just took over and my dining experience and training allowed me to do what was necessary to properly handle the situation. I am just happy that I was at the right place at the right time to help out.”