Exercise Science and Exercise Physiology
Exercise Science and Exercise Physiology are designed to promote the development of a healthy physically active lifestyle and prepare its graduates for teaching exercise science and fitness professions. Students will acquire knowledge of human movement, requisite skills and competencies in their area of specialization at the Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral levels.
We offer a bachelor's degree in Exercise Science with the option to choose from three different areas of concentration:
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Specialist
- Pre-Physical/Occupational Therapy/Podiatric Medicine
- Strength and Conditioning
To examine the Exercise Science concentrations please refer to the University Catalog.
GOALS OF THE UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM
- To implement and maintain a CAAHEP accredited and NSCA ERP Exercise Science education program that fulfills the mission and goals of Kent State University.
- To encourage students to take the capstone experience and take an accredited exam (ACSM EP-C, NSCA CSCS).
- Design and maintain classroom and study spaces suitable for teaching, learning, research and other activities relevant to the mission of Kent State University.
OBJECTIVES OF THE UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM
- The curriculum will be presented in an organized, sequential and cumulative manner such that students will develop and refine their knowledge and clinical skills as demonstrated through the American College of Sports Medicine’s KSA’s (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities) set forth in the Guidelines.
- Students will learn about the physiology of human movement.
- Students will be expected to take an accredited exam (ACSM EP-C, NSCA CSCS).
- Students will learn about the anatomy and physiology of exercise.
- Students will learn about the pathophysiology of chronic diseases and risk factors.
Many students choose an Exercise Physiology concentration to prepare them for graduate school in that area or in other health care professions (i.e. Occupational Therapy, Podiatry or Medical School).
We offer a Master's of Science Degree in Exercise Physiology and a PhD in Health Sciences with a concentration in Exercise Physiology.
Exercise Science and Exercise Physiology that provides graduates with a variety of career options, including exercise prescription and research. Degree applicants are expected to have substantial preparation in the sciences, usually including coursework in biology chemistry, physics, mathematics, anatomy, kinesiology, and exercise physiology.
Representative faculty research includes the areas of body composition, metabolism/nutritional requirements, environment, cardiovascualr, immunology, clinical exercise physiology, and the psychophysiology of aging as it is influenced by physical activity and fitness.