MAT Program: FAQs

Frequently asked questions about the Secondary Education Master of Arts in Teaching program:

Q:  About how much, on average, would one expect to pay in tuition for the MAT degree?
A: On average, based upon the 2023-2024 rates for Ohio graduate students, the total cost would be approximately $19,990 for the one-year MAT program. (Tuition rates are published each July for the next academic year, Fall-Summer.) This amount includes the 40-41 hours of graduate credit; however, this total does not include the undergraduate content area coursework determined as required by the official content evaluation provided by the EHHS graduate advisor. The total cost of the two-year MAT is harder to estimate as there are more variables. Two-year MAT candidates are permitted to carry in any unfinished undergraduate content coursework up to a maximum 30 hours into the graduate program. Please note that tuition rates are subject to change. Therefore, consult the Financial, Billing and Enrollment Center website for the most accurate schedule of fees (refer to “Kent Campus - Non-Tuition Guarantee Rates”).

Q: What is the first step in applying to the program?
A: The first step is to contact EHHS Graduate Advisor Erin Harwood at, to request a content evaluation. To request an evaluation, please scan/email unofficial transcripts to her (KSU students and/or graduates can simply email her written authorization to access their records internally) and state your intended content area/licensure concentration (maximum of two areas can be requested). A cover letter and application documents will also be emailed explaining the evaluation and steps required for admission to the MAT program.

Q: What kind of information does the content evaluation supply?
A: A content evaluation determines if you have met your intended content area/licensure concentration (subject you wish to teach) and is the first step in the process of inquiring about the program. In order to be eligible to apply for the accelerated one-year MAT program, you must have completed all the undergraduate coursework in your intended content area/licensure concentration by the time the program begins (summer). For the two-year program, you must be within 30 hours of completing your undergraduate coursework by the time the program begins (the courses must be completed at the start of the MAT program).

Q: If I graduated with a degree in my licensure field, I shouldn’t have many content courses to take, correct?
A. Direct admission to the MAT program is rare. Most candidates can expect 2-4 semesters of content coursework prior to admission to the 11-month MAT program. In part, this is because the licensure requirements for most degrees prepare teachers to teach more than one subject in a discipline - for example, integrated social studies teachers are licensed to teach geography, economics, government, psychology, political science, sociology and history. There is coursework related to each of these disciplines to fulfill the licensure requirements. This is true in the other integrated and multiage licenses, as well.

Q: How long does the program take to complete?
A: Almost all potential MAT candidates can expect that they will need additional prerequisite content courses prior to the MAT. It is more a matter of how many hours you will need, and this is dependent upon coursework taken in your prior degree program and how closely these courses align with content courses required in your intended content area/licensure concentration. On average, it will take an 11-month MAT candidate one year to complete prerequisite undergraduate content coursework and one year to complete the MAT program; however, it is all dependent upon how closely your prior major/degree program fits with a 7-12 core academic content area.

Q: I thought this program was an 11-month program, but your last response implies it is not. Can you clarify?
A. In regards to prerequisite content coursework for those interested in applying for the one-year accelerated program: Those courses that are determined missing (after your content evaluation) must be taken in advance at the undergraduate level (as a post-undergraduate non-degree student). 

Q: OK, I am not interested in the 11-month accelerated program. I want to take more time to complete the degree so that I can keep working during the day a little longer. Can you clarify the 2-year pathway?
A: Those interested in the two-year part-time program may take the required content courses toward their licensure (30 content hours or less) while they are taking the graduate coursework required for the MAT program. One drawback of the part-time program is that undergraduate courses will be charged to the student at the graduate rate. Although the two-year MAT is a more flexibly-scheduled program, candidates MUST attend full-time, during the day for the final two semesters (fall field practicum/spring student teaching).

Q: Are there any graduate assistantships offered to applicants to the program? Are there any scholarship opportunities for MAT students?
A: There are not graduate assistantships provided to MAT students through the program; however, there are graduate assistantships throughout the college of EHHS and the university. You may apply through the School of Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Studies or through other departments on campus. Be advised that graduate assistantships cannot be procured for the student teaching semester due to the full-time commitment of the internship.
There are scholarships available to MAT candidates (once the application is submitted and a KSU username/email is created), and some are specifically targeted to MAT students. Please visit the College of EHHS Scholarship page, which has a link to the ScholarshipUniverse portal. The first step is to complete a Student Profile. The questions asked will help match the candidate to scholarships. While candidates do not have to answer all questions asked – the more questions answered, the better the search results. It is very important that MAT candidates list the intended program/major as “Secondary Education-Masters” AND the licensure concentration, because one of the MAT-scholarships is specific to certain licensure concentrations. In addition, ScholarshipUniverse is able to match students to external scholarship opportunities. Candidates will need to complete a separate application for each scholarship. The ScholarshipUniverse application window for the 2024-2025 academic year will open on Oct. 1, 2023 and will close on Feb. 29, 2024.