Forthcoming Accepted Publications
- “Johnny Got His Gun and Working Class Students: Using Rhetorical Analysis to Intellectualise Pacifism.”
- Forthcoming in Peace Research: The Canadian Journal of Peace and Conflict Studies (2011). (Peer reviewed.)
- “Beyond Regionalism: Marxist Influence in Dawn Powell's 'The Story of a Country Boy.'” Forthcoming in Midwestern Miscellany (Spring 2011). (Peer reviewed.)
- Review of Black Frankenstein: The Making of an American Metaphor by Elizabeth Young. Forthcoming in African American Review (Fall 2011)
- Review of Portraits of the New Negro Woman by Cherene Sherrard-Johnson. Forthcoming in African American Review (Spring 2011).
Articles (Peer Reviewed)
- “Time, Communication, and Prophecy: Prodigious Unity in Almanac of the Dead.” CLA Journal 50.3 (March 2007): 348-363.
- “Hybrid Expression: Orality and Literacy in Jazz and Beloved.” Midwest Quarterly 47.1 (2005): 26-39.
- “The Life of Doremus Jessup: Sinclair Lewis' 'It Can’t Happen Here' and the Influence of Slave Narratives.” Sinclair Lewis Society Newsletter 15.2 (Spring 2007): 1, 14-17.
- “Passions, Sentiments, and Sympathies: A Review of Inventing Human Rights: A History by Lynn Hunt.” American Book Review 29.3 (March/April 2008): 22-3.
- Review of Utopian Generations: The Political Horizon of Twentieth-Century Literature by Nicholas Brown. African American Review 41.4 (Fall/Winter 2008): 805-807.
Work in Progress
I am circulating the following articles to peer reviewed journals:
- “Linguistic Violence: The Emersonian Dispossession of Language in Ralph Ellison's 'Invisible Man.' ” (Recently submitted to Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States)
- “On Simulated Orality in Morrison's 'Beloved': A Response to Hannes Bergthaller” (To be considered in Connotations: A Journal for Critical Debate)
- “Grand Republic: Sundown Town.” Delivered at The 41st Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature. Michigan State University, 13 May 2011.
- “Urban Trickster: Cultural Hybridity in the Works of Gerald Vizenor.” Delivered at The 39th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature. Michigan State University, 8 May 2009.
- “Beyond Regionalism: Marxist Influence in Dawn Powell's 'The Story of a Country Boy.' ” Delivered at the 38th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature. Michigan State University, 8 May 2008.
- “Students Aren't Parrots: Rethinking Purpose and Method in 'Content-Based' Literature Classes.” Delivered at The Purpose(s) of English: A Conference on the Future of English Studies, University of Illinois at Springfield, 19 October 2007.
- “African-American Writers and Naturalism: A Round-Table Discussion.” Moderated and served as a panelist at The American Literature Association Symposium on Naturalism, Newport Beach, California, 6 October 2007.
- “Time, Communication, and Prophecy: Prodigious Unity in Almanac of the Dead.” Delivered at MELUS Conference, Knoxville, Tennessee, 2 March 2001.
- “Emerson, Ellison, and Language.” Delivered at Kent State University Graduate Student Colloquium, Kent State University, 2000.
- “Linguistic Violence: The Dispossession of Language in 'Invisible Man.' ” Delivered at MELUS Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, 10 March 2000.
- “The Problem of Mediation: Ideology/Utopia Dialectic in 'Native Son.' ” Delivered at The American Literature Association Conference, Los Angeles, California, 14 May 2000.
- “Jazz, 'Absalom, Absalom!,' and the Parent-Child Relationship: Morrison's Deconstruction of Faulkner's Patriarchal Text.” Delivered at 6th Association of Graduate English Students Conference, Kent State University, 1999.