The Writing Portfolio is a directed study taken with a part- or full-time faculty member of your choosing.
The Writing Portfolio is a compilation of a student's academic writing, given their major or minor concentration (e.g., literature analyses, professional essays, and/or creative writing). Students wishing to create and complete the Writing Portfolio will choose a faculty member who will direct their portfolio, helping the student decide which written pieces to include in their portfolio and what revisions and new work should be completed and included. Students will also need to choose another faculty member to be a portfolio reader who will provide additional feedback related to necessary revisions. To begin the process, follow these steps:
- Read the Writing Portfolio Guidelines for complete information. (Note that completed Writing Portfolios will be eligible for the Zurava Award, which is accompanied by a monetary prize and awarded at the English Department Awards Ceremony in the Spring.)
- Refer to the Signatures/Permission information on page 2 of the Writing Portfolio Guidelines PDF above.
- Choose a faculty member to serve as your Writing Portfolio Director.
- Choose a faculty member to serve as your Reader. (Please note: either your Director or Reader must be a member of the Department of English.)
- Contact both your chosen Director and Reader to be sure that they agree to serve in those roles.
- Contact the English Department Administrative Assistant, Sheri McMahon, at email@example.com to receive the DocuSign Writing Portfolio form. Once you receive an email with the form, you will complete, sign, and submit it. You will receive a second email so that you can obtain signatures electronically from your Director and Reader. See the Writing Portfolio Guidelines for more information.
- Once your DocuSign Writing Portfolio form is complete and your Director, Reader, and the Writing Program Coordinator have signed electronically, you will receive an email from the English Department Administrative Assistant with a CRN# for ENG 40099 so that you can register.
- After you complete the Writing Portfolio process, and your portfolio has been approved by your Director and Reader, you will contact the English Department Administrative Assistant, again, at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the DocuSign Final Writing Portfolio form to obtain final signatures, approving your finished Writing Portfolio. You will also attach to this email your final Writing Portfolio as a pdf, along with any comments or feedback from your Director and Reader.
Please note that ENG 40099 is a two credit class. To be eligible to enroll, a student must have a minimum of Junior standing (60 hours of earned credit), a 3.00 G.P.A. in writing courses taken toward completion of the Minor, and approval from the Writing Program or Regional Campus Coordinator. Students typically take their portfolio credits during their senior year, but may enroll earlier.