Education Abroad Scholarships
The Office of Global Education is proud to announce that it now offers Kent State students financial assistance for a study abroad experience in the form of the following two scholarships:
Diversity in Education Abroad Scholarship
The Diversity in Education Abroad Scholarship was created to ensure that underrepresented students have access to a level of financial assistance that will assist them in achieving a study abroad experience. Underrepresented students may include but are not limited to:
- Ethnic/Racial minorities
- Students with disabilities and registered with the Student Accessibility Services Office
- Students with high financial need
- First-generation college students
- LGBTQ-identified students
- Underrepresented academic majors within study abroad
- Student athletes
This Diversity in Education Abroad Scholarship is only applicable to Kent State University sponsored programs. Applicants will be required to compose a personal statement essay and should use that essay to indicate and support their identification with one or more of the aforementioned demographic categories.
First Experience Abroad Scholarship
The First Experience Abroad Scholarship provides financial assistance for students who will be participating in their first study abroad experience through a Kent State University sponsored program. Scholarship applicants are required to compose a personal statement essay to answer the following questions:
- How will this experience complement your academic studies and personal growth?
- What do you hope to learn about the host culture?
- How do you envision sharing what you learn with others when you return home?
Application Deadlines (Effective Fall 2018)
For each study abroad program term listed below, applications will be accepted until the posted deadline. Students are encouraged to submit their applications prior to these dates for the highest consideration. Applications submitted after the dates below will not be accepted.
- Fall Semester or Academic Year Abroad: May 15
- Winter Break or Spring Semester Abroad: October 15
- Spring Break or Summer Intersession Abroad: February 1
- Summer Term Abroad: March 1
Scholarship Amounts & Eligibility
Scholarship amounts may vary from $250.00 to $3,000.00.
To be eligible for the scholarships, students must also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Kent State degree-seeking student
- 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Successful submission of scholarship application and required scholarship essay
List of Study Abroad Eligible Programs
- Florence Semester
- Florence Summer Institute
- Florence Health Institute
- Geneva Semester/Summer
- Exchange Programs (Including ISEP Exchanges; Excluding ISEP Direct)
- Faculty-led Programs (for Kent State credit)
- KSU Paris American Academy Summer
- KSU Prague Semester and Summer