Maintaining Immigration Status

You are responsible for maintaining your status 

Important Updates from USCIS

On August 9, 2018 USCIS changed their interpretation of "Unlawful presence." Unlawful presence is when there has been a loss of status with no actions to correct it. Loss of status is the direct result of violations for a particular visa. More than ever, it is very important to understand the regulations for your visa. Failing to maintain your status could result in loss of status AND severe immigration consequences including being barred from the U.S. for up to 10 years. For more information regarding the specific details of the changes, we recommend viewing the resources listed below:

The Office of Global Education will continue to post updates to this webpage as policies or updates are provided. 

If you are unsure of whether or not you are maintaining your status properly, please contact isss immediately. 

To maintain your status you are responsible for the following:
  • Maintain a valid passport.
  • Enroll as a full-time student during the academic year (fall and spring semesters) and make normal progress toward your degree. A full course load is 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduates and 8 credit hours per semester for graduate students.
  • Update your address, telephone number, and e-mail accounts on FlashLine within 10 days after you move. Your permanent address should be your address outside of the U.S. Your local address is your address in the U.S. You must keep a valid permanent and local address on file. Permanent address=foreign address, local address=U.S. address
  • Notify International Student and Scholar Services of changes in major or program (e.g. history to political science or bachelor’s to master’s degree).
  • Request an extension if your program takes longer than the date indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019.  You must apply for a program extension before the end date on your immigration document.
  • Maintain health insurance for yourself and any dependents.
  • Work only with proper authorization. Contact ISSS before starting employment.
  • Have your I-20 or DS-2019 signed by an international student advisor before traveling out of the U.S.

We are here to help you and want to work with you to maintain status. The staff members of ISSS are well-trained and informed on current immigration matters.