Program Extension


As an F-1 visa student, you are required to make normal academic progress towards completing your program. However, if your program end date (as it appears on your I-20) is approaching, but you will not finish by that date, you may need a Program Extension.

According to 8CFRSEC.214.2(f)(7), an F-1/F-2 student who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her educational objective, but who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the Form I-20, must apply prior to the program end date for a program extension.