Q. HOW DO I APPLY FOR HONORS SCHOLARSHIPS AT KENT STATE UNIVERSITY?
Students who will attend the Kent Campus should complete the Undergraduate Application for Admission no later than February 1st to ensure they are considered for incoming freshmen scholarships awarded by the Honors College. Eligible students will receive an estimated Honors Distinction Award in their award letter from the Office of Student Financial Aid, along with an invitation to apply to the Honors College. The Honors College requires a supplemental application for admission. The Honors Distinction Award is only awarded to a student once they have been admitted to the Honors College. Award amounts are determined by the student's cumulative high school GPA and test scores.
Additional Honors College scholarship opportunities are awarded to incoming freshmen based on their academic achievements, financial need, selected major, leadership experience and extracurricular activities. The student's application for Honors College admission is used to determine eligibility and selection. No additional application is necessary. If a student is selected for an additional Honors College scholarship, they are notified by both email and mail by March 1st.
In addition to scholarships awarded by the Admissions Office, Honors College and Student Financial Aid Office, students can also apply for scholarships awarded by various departments at Kent State University. To search for these additional opportunities visit the Online Scholarship Search Engine.
CONTINUING STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarship awards are based on academic performance and in some cases, the student’s academic major, talent, financial need, extracurricular activities and demonstrated leadership. To search for these additional opportunities, visit the Online Scholarship Search Engine.
Q. WHAT IF I MISSED THE DEADLINE FOR APPLYING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS?
If your scholarship application is received late, you will be placed on a waiting list. If additional awards become available, on-time applicants will be reviewed first. If awards are still available, we will then look at all scholarship applicants.
Q. CAN I USE MY SCHOLARSHIP AT A REGIONAL CAMPUS?
Most Honors College scholarships require that you enroll the Kent Campus of Kent State University for minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. Please refer to the stipulations associated with your specific scholarship award. This information is often available on your FlashLine account. You can also contact the Honors College scholarship coordinator for more information.
Q. DO I HAVE TO APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS EVERY YEAR?
If the scholarship you are currently receiving is a non-renewable scholarship, you will have to reapply to be considered for the scholarship during the upcoming year. If your scholarship is a renewable scholarship, then the scholarship will be renewed automatically, provided that you have met the renewal criteria. The renewal criteria varies for each scholarship. Please refer to the stipulations associated with your specific scholarship award. This information is often available on your FlashLine account. You can also contact the Honors College scholarship coordinator for more information.
Q. WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY AND RENEWAL CRITERIA FOR MY SCHOLARSHIP?
Scholarship stipulations for awards made by the Honors College are available on your FlashLine account. Please follow the directions below and contact the Honors College scholarship coordinator if you have any questions.
- Login to your FlashLine Account at www.kent.edu
- Click on the Student tab in the left column
- Under Finances, choose Financial Aid
- Click Financial Aid Awards
- Under Aid for Award Year, choose the appropriate Award Year from the drop-down menu and click Submit
- Click on the Accept Award Offer tab
- Click on the name of each scholarship and carefully read the Eligibility and Renewal Criteria for that award
Q. IF I DID NOT MEET THE RENEWAL CRITERIA IN ORDER TO RECEIVE MY SCHOLARSHIP NEXT YEAR, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?
Students who did not meet the criteria required for the renewal of their scholarship have the opportunity to appeal. You must submit an appeal to the Dean of the Honors College explaining what extenuating circumstances contributed to you not meeting the criteria, and provide documentation. For example, if you suffered an illness, you must submit medical documentation. If there was a death in the family, submit a funeral program or obituary notice.
Q. CAN I USE MY ROOM AND/OR BOARD SCHOLARSHIP IF I LIVE OFF CAMPUS?
- Honors Residence Scholarships can only be used to pay room charges incurred from living in University housing during the semester in question. If the student chooses to live off-campus, they will forfeit their Honors Residence Scholarship.
- Honors Room/Board Scholarships can only be used to pay room charges incurred from living in University housing during the semester in question. If the student chooses to live off-campus, the scholarship can be used to pay for a University board (dining) plan. If the student chooses not to select a board plan, they will forfeit their Honors Room/Board scholarship.
Q. CAN I USE MY ROOM AND/OR BOARD SCHOLARSHIP IF I am studying away?
- Honors Residence Scholarships and Honors Room/Board Scholarships can be used if a student is participating in a Kent State sponsored study away program that requires students to pay room charges to Kent State University. For questions on other study away programs, please contact the Honors College scholarship coordinator.