First Place Winner - The State of Hate Roadtrip, Brandon Bounds, News21
Special Recognition - POP!, A short film written and directed by Ben Kemper, a DMP senior, and produced by KSUIF, published to YouTube in 2018
Kent State Tuscarawas wrestler doesn't let a condition define his life, Brynn Pennell, Kent Wired, Feb. 6, 2018
Growing up Queer, Ella Abbott, photos by Dustin Massengill, Fusion, Spring 2018
Trans man seeks to unseat…, Regan Schell, photos by Jake Ball, Fusion, Spring 2018
Van’s Warped Tour’s Boys Club: An analysis of representations of women in alternative music, master's thesis, Natasha Wolwacz Heinz
The Stories of Daniel E. Morgan, Andrew Bartholomew, Brandon Bounds, Nya Coleman, Steven Geer, Anna Huntsman, Kyleigh Jarosinski, Erin Keller, Adam Kirasic, Brianne Kocher, Alexander Korecky, Tia Myers-Rocker, Benjamin Orner, S’Reane Parks, Lillianne Peters, Noah Stitch, Spring 2018
Team Narcan, students from CCI's "Media and Movements: Opioid Epidemic Seminar," Hailee Carlin, Kody Elsayed and Abigail Winternitz of JMC and Jillian Schmidt of the School of Nursing.
Editorial series: The racist and sexist hardships of female appearance, Jordyn Austin, Fall 2018 Editorial Writing class
Student Award for Diversity
The Robert G. McGruder Student Award for Diversity
This award honors Robert G. McGruder, a 1963 Kent State graduate and leader in the area of diversity in journalism, and recognizes work published or broadcast in print or online in a Student Media outlet, other professional media outlets such as an internship, or as part of a JMC classroom assignment. The award is not discipline specific.
The number of winners to be recognized will be chosen by members of the School of Media and Journalism Diversity & Globalization committee each year.
This award is open to undergraduates and graduate students working in a Media and Journalism class, internship or student media outlet for work done during the contest period. The entrant must have done the majority of the work on the project to be considered.
2020 Robert G. McGruder Student Award for Diversity Winners and Nominees
- First Place Winner - I Spin Birdsong into Story, Words: Valerie Royzman, Designer: Maryrose Ceccarelli, published in A Magazine, 2019
- Special Recognition - #BlackAtKentState: A look at racism on college campuses, Tramaine Burton, Sara Crawford, Maria McGinnis, Connor Steffen, published on Kent Wired, July, 13, 2020
- An In-Depth Look into Black Atheism, Written by Zaria Johnson, Illustrations by Tesha-Genet McCann, published in UHURU, Spring 2020
- Becoming Brandi, Words: Emily Day, Photography: Dana McKinney, published in A Magazine, 2019
- Out There: Studying Abroad As A Queer Person, Words: Alexandra Sobczak, Illustrations: Alyssa Maziarz, published in Fusion Magazine, Spring 2020
Nominations are ongoing.
Who: Undergraduate and graduate students working in a Media and Journalism class, internship or Student Media outlet who have created published content in the areas of diversity and inclusion.
What: Work broadcast or published in print or online through a Student Media outlet, other professional media outlets such as an internship, or as part of a Media and Journalism classroom assignment.
Timeframe: Work must be published or broadcast after Sept. 1, 2020
Deadline: Nominations accepted until Aug. 31, 2021