Kent State University is ranked among the nation's top public research universities for good reason. We encourage all students to work closely with faculty members, and engage in scholarly research and creative activities.
Through engagement in research, students at all levels develop new skills, broaden their career options, bring classroom concepts to life, share in the excitement of discovery, collaborate with others, and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in their chosen field. This contribution can be in the form of new knowledge, interpretation of knowledge, or artistic/creative performance.
Research Provides Students Opportunities To:
- Enhance ability in communicating through various methods
- Work with other peers and professionals, individually or as a group
- Engage and empower hands-on learning
- Enhance the student learning experience through mentoring relationships with faculty
- Provide effective career preparation and promote graduate education
- Develop critical thinking and problem solving skills, creativity, self-confidence, and intellectual independence
- Learn about issues, methods, and trends in a research area
“Conducting research extends classroom experiences by transitioning students from the role of consumers of knowledge to that of active creators of knowledge. The joy and excitement of answering a research question of public health significance, inventing something that improves our daily life, or creating a work of art that inspires are simply life-changing.”
-Douglas L. Delahanty, Ph.D., Interim Vice President for Research and Sponsored Programs