Student Research Experience
The Student Research Experience (SRE) connects students to faculty at an optimal time in their academic journey and engages them in the learning process empowering them to excel.
Description of Program: The Student Research Experience provides an opportunity for students to collaborate in one-on- one research with a faculty member at any point in their educational journey. Students benefit in working with a faculty member to acquire basic research skills and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. In addition, the engagement provides students with hands-on experiences as they formulate decisions about majors and careers. Students are employed as student research assistants under the Federal Work Study program and work a maximum of 15 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. During the University's response to COVID-19, we will permit remote research experiences to students if faculty have these opportunities available.
Who Can Participate?
- Students must be eligible for the Federal Work Study (FWS) program in the amount of at least $700 per academic year .
- Kent State students (Kent campus)
- Work with a faculty member to acquire basic research skills and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Hands-on experiences as they formulate decisions about majors and careers.
- Employment as student research assistants under the Federal Work Study program and work a maximum of 12 hours per week during the fall and/or spring semesters.
- Connect with other researchers and develop communication and collaboration skills
- And more………….
- Students may earn up to $2,700 per academic year (Fall and Spring Semesters – dependent on FWS eligibility).
Student Participants Must
- Follow work direction of faculty mentor/supervisor
- Attend the Undergraduate Research Symposium in March/April
- Submit a brief research report (1,000 - 1,500 words) by end of spring semester of award year.
- Attend three workshops sponsored by the Office of Student Research during the award year.
- Complete an evaluation at the end of each semester of the engagement