Excellence in Research Mentoring
NOMINATE YOUR RESEARCH MENTOR
If you have been involved in research and were mentored by an exceptional faculty member, consider nominating them for the EXCELLENCE in RESEARCH MENTORSHIP AWARD
Dear Undergraduate and Graduate Students and KSU Alums:
You are invited to nominate a Kent State faculty member for the Excellence in Research Mentorship Award. The awards are sponsored by the Office of Student Research and the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs and are intended to honor and recognize faculty members who effectively guide and support students through undergraduate or graduate research, scholarship and/or artistic productions, and assist students in goal attainment by providing necessary resources. One award will be given to an undergraduate student mentor and one to a graduate student mentor. Winners will be selected based on the quality of the mentorship experience including the following considerations for eligibility:
- Provides intellectual leadership; models a record of excellence in research, and/or creative work; exhibits effective teaching skills; ensures that students master the content and skills of their discipline; clearly articulates expectations and holds students to high standards.
- Engages in scholarly productivity through publications, grants, awards, presentations and/or performances as well as other accomplishments that may include membership and leadership in professional organizations or on editorial boards
- Creates a supportive environment for research, scholarship and/or artistic production; respects student goals and assists them in goal attainment; strives to provide students with the resources necessary to take full advantage of institutional, academic and professional opportunities (e.g., publications, conferences, networking, clinical experiences, artistic performances).
- Promotes successful and timely completion of students' degree programs; serves a proactive and effective role in student post-training placement.
- Acts as advocate for students individually or collectively; helps in resolving issues and reducing barriers.
- Maintains accessibility by providing consistently open lines of communication.
- Integrates students into the broader culture of the discipline.
Kent State University faculty (tenured, tenure track, non-tenure track, lecturers, adjunct, etc.) on all campuses are eligible for nomination. Nominations may be submitted by Kent State University graduate and undergraduate students and alumni. Individuals may nominate only one candidate.
Process: Nominators must complete a nomination form and secure a letter of support for the nominee from a Kent State University faculty member and one additional letter of support from another mentee. For undergraduate students making a nomination, the Office of Student Research can assist with contacting faculty for the supporting letter - contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Once a nomination packet (i.e., nomination from student including letter, letter of support from faculty and letter of support from one additional mentee) is complete, please scan and send to email@example.com. Nomination deadline is Monday, February 28th, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Review of Nominations: Student committees (graduate and undergraduate) will review respective nominations. Recommendations from the committee will be forwarded to the Vice President for Research and Sponsored Programs for final approval. A rubric using the above considerations/requirements will be used for scoring the nominations.