2015 Academic STARS Summer Institute
***The Application Process for Academic STARS 2015 is now closed***
What is Academic STARS?
The Academic Students Achieving and Reaching for Success (STARS) program is designed for newly enrolled Kent State University freshmen who are African-American, Latino or Native American. The program helps to prepare students for their college experience with opportunities to build a solid academic foundation, achieve excellence in education and develop leadership qualities.
When does the Program take place?
Academic STARS begins with a five-week summer institute where you will take two courses and earn six college credit hours that count toward graduation. You'll learn skills to be successful in college, such as time management, taking notes, reading and studying, taking tests, listening, setting goals and making decisions. You will also be introduced to a wide range of helpful campus resources.
- Participation is by invitation only
- Expenses for students who are selected to participate are paid by the Student Multicultural Center
- You will move into a residence hall on Sunday, June 7, 2015 and will live on campus for the entire five weeks
- Classes will begin on Monday, June 8, 2015
- Current Kent State students serve as peer mentors throughout the summer institute
- The institute includes a multicultural component that promotes recognition, understanding and appreciation of cultural differences
Academic STARS Application Materials:
All materials are due by Tuesday, March 31.
- Academic STARS Application
- Academic STARS Recommendation Form
Please send and address all materials to:
Mr. Avery Danage, Jr., Program Coordinator
RE: Academic S.T.A.R.S. Summer Institute
Student Multicultural Center, Kent State University
P.O. Box 5190,Kent, Ohio 44242-0001