50th Anniversary Celebration
What is now known as the Student Multicultural Center (SMC), started as the Office of Minority Affairs in the Fall of 1986. In 1991, President Cartwright announced her new Diversity plan and mentioned the new name of the Office of Minority Affairs as the Office of Cultural Diversity. The name change was due to the negative connotation with the word ‘minority’ and to expand the mission of the office.
In the late 90’s the name of the office would undergo another change to what is now the Student Multicultural Center. Although there were a few name changes over the years, one thing has remained constant – this area is focused on the cultural affirmation, retention, and graduation of our students of color and emphasizes the importance of what our students of color bring to Kent State University. We hope you will join us as we celebrate 50 years of service at Kent State!
Calendar of Events
Drumming Event with Baba Okantah
- Come and join the SMC Staff and Professor Okantah with a Drumming Session/Lesson in the SMC!
- Event to be held Monday, September 10 at SMC Lounge, 4:00pm-6:00pm.
Cultural Celebration Cook Off
- Cook off representing African-American, Latinx, and Native American Cultures. Please consider making a contribution to the SMC Emergency Fund. This fund is utilized to help Kent State students most in need!
- Event to be held Tuesday, September 11 at KSC Ballroom Balcony, 6:00pm-8:00pm.
History of the SMC Game Night
- We will have a fun game night to review the history of the SMC and celebrate 50 years! Other games will be played after and we will have some SMC 50th Anniversary Giveaways! Light snacks will be served.
- Event to be held Wednesday, September 12 at SMC Lounge, 5:00pm-7:00pm.
Soup and Substance 2.0: The Student Multicultural Center Next 50 Years
- Discussion of what the next 50 years look like in the SMC. We will encourage participates to reflect on their experiences over the years and share out ideas of how they would like to see the SMC grow.
- Event to be held Thursday, September 13 at SMC Lounge, 4:00pm-6:00pm.
Tag us in your posts with #SMCKentState50th or #SMCKentState
If you have any questions or need more information about events please feel free to contact the SMC at Student_Multicultural_Center@kent.edu or (330) 672-3560.