SMC 50th Anniversary Celebration
What is now known as the Student Multicultural Center (SMC), started as the Office of Minority Affairs in the Fall of 1968. In 1991, President Cartwright announced her new Diversity plan and mentioned the new name of the Office of Minority Affairs as the Office of Cultural Diversity. The name change was due to the negative connotation with the word ‘minority’ and to expand the mission of the office.
In the late 90’s the name of the office would undergo another change to what is now the Student Multicultural Center. Although there were a few name changes over the years, one thing has remained constant – this area is focused on the cultural affirmation, retention, and graduation of our students of color and emphasizes the importance of what our students of color bring to Kent State University. We hope you will join us as we celebrate 50 years of service at Kent State for an entire year!
Calendar of Events
Welcome/Welcome Back Event
- Come connect with with new and returning students as the SMC kicks-off the Spring 2019 semester!
- Event to be held Thursday, January 17 at SMC Lounge (Kent Student Center 206), 5:00pm-7:00pm.
SMC/BUS 50th Anniversary Museum
- Come experience the past 50 years of the Student Multicultural Center and Black United Students, through artifacts, videos and articles.
- Event to be held Wednesday, February 20 at SMC Lounge (Kent Student Center 206), 12:00pm-7:00pm.
Soul Food Cultural Cook-Off
- We will have a soul food cook-off in honor of the SMC 50th Anniversary and Black History Month. If you are interested in entering the cook-off, submissions are due by February, 11 2019.
- Event to be held Thursday, February 28 at Kent Student Center (306ABC) 6:00pm-8:00pm.
SMC 50th Anniversary Viewing Party
- A year in review with pictures, video clips, reflections and refreshments.
- Event to be held Tuesday, March 19 at SMC Lounge, 3:00pm-5:00pm.
Dance Workshop with Danielle Lamboy
- Come join the SMC staff along with our K/T Mentor, Danielle Lamboy, as she teaches us some Latin dances.
- Event to be held Thursday, April 11 at SMC Lounge, 4:00pm - 6:00pm.
Tag us in your posts with #SMCKentState50th or #SMCKentState