Student Advisory Committee
The Women's Center Student Advisory Committee
The Student Advisory Committee (SAC) is a student-led committee with the purpose of engaging students around women's issues, including equity of access and opportunity. The SAC promotes self-reflection, life long learning and modeling of best practices around recognizing and celebrating difference and diversity while exploring common themes of experience and expression. The members of this committee provide a unique and valued perspective while supporting and moving forward the mission and vision of the Women's Center.
The Women's Center Student Advisory Committee offers the opportunity for student leadership development through collaboration with the faculty and staff of the Women's Center and the Women's Center Advisory Council. SAC also fosters a sense of community and shared responsibility promoting advocacy and education through a variety of inititives relating to the equity of opportunity and access for women.
Recent Topics and Initiatives Include:
- Cultural competency, self-reflection and awareness (Dana Lawless-Andric, Associate Vice President, Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)
- LGBTQ and transgender health concerns, AIDS awareness, pursuing your passion (Dr. Dianne Kerr, Professor, Health Education)
- Women's leadership development, overcoming obstacles and challenges (Dr. Eboni Pringle, Dean, University College)
- LGBTQ and Safe Space training (Amanda Leu, Academic Advisor, Communication Studies and Safe Space Training Facilitator
- Global women's access and opportunity for education, global women's health issues focusing on Somalia and Kenya (Nasra Abubakar, PhD Candidate, Sociology)
- Collaborating with other campus organizations to collect and distribute winter clothing for the Syrian Refugees arriving in Ohio.
- Dialogue and conversation around language as well as determining and modeling best practices.
- Provide leadership and support for the S.H.A.R.E Project (Supporting Healthy living through Advocacy, Resources and Education).
- Organize a Women's Week (week-long student centered events) as part of 2017 Women's History Month.
- Create a partnership with a global community to support global access to women's education through fundraising, advocacy and relationships.
Current 2015-16 Women’s Center Student Advisory Committee Members.
- Beatrice Cahill-Camden, First-Year, International Relations Major
- Drew Canfield, Junior, Political Science Major, Women’s Studies, LGBTQ Studies and Sociology Minors
- Megan Carrasco, Senior, Applied Communications Major, Public Relations and Spanish Minors
- Ashley Coker, Junior, Fashion Merchandising Major
- Lyntasia Harris (Tasia), Senior, Fashion Merchandising Major
- Nichole Jelinek, Junior, Broadcast Journalism Major
- Katrina Johnson, Junior, Nursing Major, Psychology Minor
- Kristina Kamis, Senior, Psychology Major, Communication Minor
- Carly Nelson, Sophomore, Speech Pathology & Audiology Major, Psychology and Nonprofit Studies Minors
- Natalia Roman, Sophomore, Communications Studies Major
- Dorothy (D.J.) Smith, Junior, Business Management, Nonprofit Studies Minor
- Taylor Williams, Middle Childhood Education Major
The Women's Center Student Advisory Committee will:
Inspire A Shared Vision by assisting in the vision and goal development of the Women's Center and work toward accomplishing the goals developed by the organization.
Encourage The Heart by serving as a motivator and resource to the populations we serve.
Challenge The Process by thinking outside the box, while still working in a collaborative style, share ideas, new initiatives, and new ways of thinking that will strengthen and further develop the Center.
Model The Way by serving as a role model for other students and student organizations