Getting Started With the employment process for new Full-time Faculty
Please follow the instructions outlined below:
- Please sign and return your original offer letter to Daniela Zurschmit or Penny Lambe, Academic Personnel, Heer Hall Suite 320, 635 Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please note, by signing your offer letter, you are acknowledging that you have reviewed Ohio Ethics Chapter 1020E and Ohio Ethics Section 2921.42.
- Instructions will be sent to the email address provided regarding establishing your Kent State email. FlashLine is Kent State’s secure web portal that provides faculty with an assortment of resources to assist with your teaching needs. Log on to FlashLine to establish your account as well as to register for New Hire Orientation.
- Academic Personnel will send employment forms via DocuSign, the platform that Kent State uses to capture electronic signatures for new hire documents. A confirmation email will be sent when all documents have been completed.
- Upon receipt of the confirmation email, you must finalize your Employment Verification USCIS Form I-9 documentation in person no later than three business days of your contract (hire) date. Please review the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 and the List of Acceptable Documents before you arrive to Academic Personnel. Our office is located in Heer Hall Suite 320, 635 Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242 (across from the Ice Arena and parking is directly in front of the building). Office hours are from 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. If these hours are not convenient for you, please contact our office at 330-672-8701 to schedule an appointment.
- When “My Lists” is available on the top banner in FlashLine, view your New Employee Checklist and complete several time sensitive onboarding action items to include enrolling in Payroll Direct Deposit, how to obtain a Parking Pass and a FLASHcard (Faculty Identification).
- You may enter W-4 Taxes Withholdings and State of Ohio Tax Withholding via the Employee Profile Dashboard link in FlashLine. Scroll down to “Taxes” and select the down arrow, then click on W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate and Ohio State Tax Exemptions or Allowance. If this information is not updated at the time of your first pay, we are required to withhold at the Single with Zero Exemption Rate. This is the highest tax rate. For additional information, please review Taxation.
** Very Important: You must enroll in your health insurance benefits within 31 days of your hire date. Please be sure to sign up for the special New Faculty Orientation session that will be held August, 2018. You may register for this mandatory event by logging into FACULTY NEW HIRE ORIENTATION 2018
PLEASE NOTE: If you fail to enroll in your Benefit plans within 31 days of your hire date, you will not be eligible to enroll until the next Open Enrollment period, which begins in October, to be effective January 1st of the following year. If you have questions, please contact the Benefits Office at (330) 672-3107.
To preview your insurance options, visit the New Hire Information page.
You will not be contributing to the federal social security system while you are employed at Kent State University. You will be asked to complete and sign a Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security form.
You will automatically be placed in the state retirement system; however, there are several choices for participation within this plan. An overview is available through Retirement. You will have a choice of an alternative retirement plan (ARP) which you may direct yourself. If you choose to participate in the ARP, this choice is irrevocable. Your decision must be made within 120 days of start of employment by completing the Retirement Plan Election Form.
Employment Verifications: proof of employment or salary information are processed through uConfirm, please review Employment Verification for more information.
Employee Wellness: For information on services to support Kent State faculty and staff, please visit University Benefits Wellness.
After a 120-day waiting period, general and instructional fees are waived for full-time faculty and staff members, their spouses, domestic partners and qualified dependent children in accordance with University Administrative Policy and Procedures Regarding Tuition Benefits 6 - 09.1. Additional information is available for review on the Benefits website Tuition Waiver.
Please review Employee Discounts for offers available to Kent State Faculty and Staff.