Broadly defined, independent contractors are self-employed individuals who offer their services to the general public. When hiring an independent contractor, the university can specify the result of the work--the final product--but cannot control how it is produced. Independent contractors are not employees.
In order to comply with federal and state laws, the following process must be followed when engaging the services of an independent contractor:
- Before any services are rendered, submit the electronic HR Independent Contractor Determination Form. Attach a copy of the proposed contract with the independent contractor to this form. If the individual providing services does not have a standard contract, the Independent Contractor Terms of Agreement may be used.
PURPOSE: This form is reviewed by Human Resources in order to determine whether or not the individual is an independent contractor or should be classified as an employee. Once a determination has been made, an email will be sent indicating whether or not the individual has been approved as an independent contractor.
- Within 30 days of the independent contractor's start of service, the OPERS Independent Contractor Acknowledgement (PEDACKN) (pdf) must be completed and signed.
PURPOSE: To comply with State of Ohio Senate Bill 343 Sec. 145.038.
- Once the services have been rendered and it is time to pay the independent contractor, the following paperwork must be submitted to Accounts Payable:
- Completed and signed Payment Request Form
- Copy of the HR Independent Contractor Determination Form email
- Copy of the fully signed contract (or Independent Contractor Terms of Agreement)