M.A. in Translation with a Concentration in Japanese
Reach Out Today
Contact us today to learn more about our program!
Are you interested in getting your master’s in translation with a focus in Japanese, but also want to learn from anywhere in the world? Come learn about our great online program and all that our Japanese translation degree can offer!
What Is a Japanese Translation Degree?
A master’s in Japanese translation is a postgraduate program that gives students the skills and knowledge they need to thrive within the translation sector. More to the point, a Japanese translation degree centers on honing abilities for translating from Japanese to English for a variety of workplace applications.
When joining a Japanese translation degree online program, students learn foundational translation techniques while at the same time developing cultural awareness and language proficiency by way of rigorous coursework. Along with this, students will engage in a range of translation exercises which deliver hands-on learning experiences and practice.
The curriculum within the master’s degree in translation in Japanese incorporates aspects that include:
- Applied translation theory and strategies specific to the language pair
- State-of-the-art computer-assisted translation technologies
- Coursework on localization and project management
- Intercultural communication in the language industry
Another key aspect to be aware of for master’s of translation in Japanese programs is that they prepare students for a variety of translation settings, such as legal, technical, and literary, broadening students’ knowledge and employment opportunities.
About Our Master's of Translation in Japanese Program
Thanks to the Gawlicki Family Foundation, we are able to provide Kent State University grad students with our online M.A. in Translation program. With our online program, you can easily earn your master’s in Japanese translation from anywhere in the world! Not to mention, with our online curriculum, our courses are able work with your busy schedule.
Course Information for the Master’s Degree in Translation with a Concentration in Japanese
Students in our program will take 36 semester hours of classes, which also includes a case study in translation. Full-time students complete our program in two years. If you are interested in being a part-time student to earn your Japanese translation degree, please refer to our roadmap for part-time students. Students on a part-time basis complete our program in three to six years.
Some of the classes you will take, such as Project Management and Terminology and Computer Applications, will cross all six language concentrations. Other courses will be specific to the Japanese-English language pair, including:
- Practice of Translation in Japanese
- Japanese Scientific/Technical/Medical Translation
- Japanese Literary and Cultural Translation
- Commercial/Legal/Diplomatic Translation in Japanese
- Case Study in Japanese Translation
Admission Information for Our Japanese Translation Degree Online
Our guidelines for admission to the master’s of translation in Japanese program are as follows:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000-point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- A CD or MP3/wav file with a five-minute oral sample in the applicant's first and second languages (conversational, not read from a script)
- Writing sample(s) in applicant's second language,1 which should be accompanied by a signed declaration that the sample is original work and that the applicant received no help in its preparation
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 550 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum79 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 77 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.5 IELTS score
- Minimum 58 PTE score
- Minimum 110 Duolingo English Test score
To see a list of all requirements for admission and their details, please refer to our admission requirements page, and be sure to contact our faculty and staff if you have any questions about our Japanese translation degree online.
Japanese Translation Degree Cost Information
Our current tuition rate for our master’s in Japanese translation program is $559.90 per credit hour for non-Ohio residents. There are also additional costs for specific required courses, such as the Software Localization course ($45).
Your Opportunities with a Master’s in Japanese Translation
Did you know that the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the employment rate of translators and interpreters is expected to grow 20% from 2021-2031?
Students who obtain a degree in Japanese translation will be prepared to have a career in the translation field and can go on to fill a variety of roles! Some of these include:
What Makes Our Online Japanese Translation Degree at Kent State Different?
With a 90% graduation rate, an exceptional faculty and staff, and unique courses designed to teach you all aspects of translation, localization, and language project management, our online M.A. in Translation program with a concentration in Japanese is truly exceptional!
And since our program is offered completely online, you can take your courses anywhere you have access to the internet. From cafes to libraries to even your living room couch, our online program is fully accessible anywhere, making it convenient for your personal schedule.
Learn More About Our Online Master’s Degree in Translation for Japanese!
Interested in getting more details or have any questions? Request more information today!