Radiology Careers and Professional Groups
Radiologic Technology is a branch of health care delivery that utilizes x-rays to aid in the diagnosis of medical conditions. Radiography programs educate students to perform radiology procedures through a blend of classroom and lab education at the Salem Campus and clinical education at area healthcare facilities.
Radiologic Technology graduates may pursue advance career mobility into:
- Computed Tomography (CT) Technologist: Performs CT scans using x-rays that image sectional views of human anatomy.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist: Performs MRI exams using strong magnetic currents and radio waves to obtain images of human anatomy.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (DMS): Perform exams by using sound waves to produce internal images of the human body.
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist: Administers radioactive pharmaceuticals to patients and views the image on gamma cameras to evaluate organ function.
- Radiation Therapist: Administers radiation to benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous) lesions by using a strong radiation beam.
- Mammographer: uses x-rays to image the breast.
- Cardiovascular interventional technology uses x-rays to image blood vessels.
- Other options include education, management, sales, application specialist, mammography or informatics.
Kent State University Salem offers the Bachelor of Radiologic and Imaging Sciences with concentrations in CT, MRI, DMS and Radiation Therapy. Go to www.kent.edu/columbiana/radiology for more information
Professional Radiology Organizations
National Programmatic Accreditation
Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
20 N. Wacker Drive Suite 2850
Chicago, IL 60606-3182
National Certification Examination in Radiography
American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
1255 Northland Drive
St. Paul, MN 55120-115
Ohio Department of Health
246 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
National Professional Society
American Society of Radiologic Technologists
15000 Central Avenue SE
Albuquerque, NM 87123-3909
Ohio Professional Society
Ohio Society of Radiologic Technologists