Hospitality and Event Management
The Hospitality and Event Management program is the only four-year program in Ohio accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration. The curriculum combines specialty classes in hospitality and business management, preparing graduates for well-compensated positions as managers in restaurants, hotels and resorts, meeting, convention, and conference centers, country clubs, and other hospitality venues.
Our Hospitality Programs
Learn more about what it's like to be a current Hospitality and Event Management student and future alum!
Reach Out Today
Contact us today to learn more about our program!
A Bachelor of Science degree in Hospitality and Event Management prepares leaders for careers in major hospitality industry segments, through academic and research programs valuing quality of life, business success, collaborative partnerships, creative approaches, and ethical principles. Possible Minors:
- Event Planning
A Master of Science program in hospitality and tourism management is a combined master's degree that builds off of the Hospitality and Event Management, and Recreation, Park and Tourism Management undergraduate programs. The program develops students’ critical analysis skills, research abilities, and understanding of advanced hospitality and tourism issues.
Mission of the Hospitality and Event Management Program
The undergraduate degree program in Hospitality and Event Management prepares leaders for careers in major hospitality industry segments through academic and research programs valuing quality of life, business success, collaborative partnerships, creative approaches, and ethical principles.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates from the program will demonstrate:
- Foundational knowledge of hospitality operations
- Competence in business practices and managerial decision making
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills including professional behavior, collaborative relationships, and proficiency in networking
- Analytical thinking and problem solving
Why You Should Choose Our Ohio Hospitality Program
With class sizes ranging from 15 to 50 students, accessible advising, and so much more, our accredited hospitality program is ready to help lead you on the path of success! Check out these great reasons why you should choose Hospitality and Event Management as your career path of choice:
Wide Variety of Career Opportunities for Hospitality Majors
With a degree from our accredited hospitality program, you can go on to a range of career roles, including:
- Accommodation manager
- Amusement park manager
- Casino manager
- Catering manager
- Club managers
- Convention manager
- Customer service manager
- Event and meeting planner
- Fast food restaurant manager
- Hotel and resort manager
- Human resources officer
- Public house manager
- Restaurant manager
- Retail manager
- Sales and marketing representative for hospitality businesses
- Tour manager
We have a talented staff made up of advisors, professors and more who not only are all here to help guide you to obtaining your degree in Hospitality and Event Management, but also have a variety of professional accomplishments. Check out their bios for insights.
Evidence of Hospitality Major Success
We conducted two surveys, one in 2014 and another in 2016, with a group of our program alumni. The results of those surveys were combined. Alumni rated their experience on a scale of 1-7, 1 being not prepared and 7 being excellent. Here are the results:
- 99% rated their quality of preparation in professional conduct a 5, 6, or 7
- 97% rated their quality of preparation in oral and written communication, quality of preparation in leadership, and quality of preparation in food safety and sanitation a 5, 6, or 7
- 96% rated their quality of preparation in problem solving/decision making a 5, 6, or 7
Scholarships for Hospitality and Event Management Majors
With both industry scholarships and collegiate scholarships available, there are a variety of opportunities for students coming into our program.
- 3 Foodies Hospitality Group LLC Scholarship
- Alex Doody “Catch Me If You Can” Memorial Fund for Study Abroad Scholarship
- Aramark Endowed Scholarship in Hospitality Management
- Hospitality Inspiration Scholarship
- College Town Kent Scholarship for Hospitality Management
- Greater Cleveland Chapter of Club Managers Association of America (CMAA) – Future Club Manager Scholarship
- Linerode-Irmiter Hospitality Management Scholarship
- Frances Schwebel Solomon Food Service Management Scholarship
- Mary E. Keller Scholarship for Hospitality Management
- Intercontinental Hotels Cleveland Hospitality Scholarship
Head over to our scholarships page to get all the details!
Opportunities to Get Involved with Industry-Specific Student Organizations
KSU Chapter of Club Management Association of America (CMAA)
CMAA is a professional group consisting of managers of a range of different types of clubs, including those for golf, yachting, the military, and more. Not to mention, they also offer the Greater Cleveland Club Managers Future Club Management Scholarship.
KSU Chapter of Eta Sigma Delta (ESD)
The Kent State University chapter of Eta Sigma Delta (ESD), an honors society for students majoring in hospitality-related disciplines. Undergraduate students with a GPA of 3.0 and above and graduate students with a GPA of 3.5 and above are invited to join.
KSU Chapter of Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA)
PCMA is open to current students who are interested in a career in the meeting and event planning industry. You will get the chance to tour hotels and convention centers, network, and much more.
Chefology is an open organization available to those who have a heightened sense of culinary curiosity and interest. This club meets to discuss cuisine in depth, cook using elevated techniques, and experience flavors from not-so-obvious sources!
Study Abroad with Kent State
We offer a fantastic opportunity for our students to study abroad and widen their horizons. Be sure to give this opportunity a look:
- Event Planning Minor Cohort – Florence, Italy
Some of Our Programs Stats
- Students employed in the hospitality industry or a related field after graduation: 100%
- Student Retention Rate: 82.4%
Hospitality and Event Management Industry Facts
The hospitality management industry is experiencing a period of large growth. Here are some recent statistics to keep in mind:
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the number of foodservice management positions to increase 9% from 2016–2026.
- Nearly 1.6 million additional jobs are expected in restaurants and foodservice by 2028.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics also projects a 13% increase in casino hotel managers from 2008-2018, and a 4% increase in hotel and lodging managers from 2016–2026.
Apply to Our Hospitality and Event Management Program Today!
If you are thinking about coming to Kent State and pursuing a degree in hospitality management, apply today!