Applying to NEOMFA Program
Kent State University is now processing all applications online. Here are the general procedure for all applications and program-specific guidelines for the Kent State University Creative Writing and the NEOMFA Consortium.
NEOMFA Program Application Overview
An application to the Creative Writing program must be made to BOTH the NEOMFA consortium and to Kent State University, which serves as one of four "gateway" universities. Students are admitted to the MFA program in Creative Writing only at the start of the Fall term, and applications are due the preceding January.
- January 15 is the deadline for application to the NEOMFA program.
- January 15 is the deadline for receipt of all application materials to Kent State University
- A GRE score is not required with an application
The NEO MFA program does not consider applications for summer or spring admission. All applications completed during a fall term will be reviewed the following January.
Students who submit complete applications by the January 15 priority deadline are considered automatically for a Graduate Assistantship. Consult the MFA Graduate Assistantships page for additional information.
Application Procedure, NEOMFA Consortium
Application Procedure, Kent State Creative Writing Program
- Start at the Kent State Admissions Application site: Apply Online.
- At this page scroll down to and click on "Graduate Admissions." If you are an international student, click on "International Admissions."
- At this page ("Step 1"), select the degree program type you are applying to: i.e. "masters."
- Read and follow the instructions under "Step 2".
Domestic Student Applications
Domestic student applications are processed through "Graduate Studies (GS)" and all required materials should be sent directly to this address:
Graduate Studies or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
650 Hilltop Drive
Kent State University
Kent OH 44242-0001
International STUDENT APPLICATIONS
International student applications are all processed through the Office of Global Education (OGE):
International Student Admissions or e-mail to email@example.com
625 Loop Road
106 Van Campen Hall
Kent State University
Kent OH 44242-0001
Transcripts must be sent directly by your current institution's Registrar to the appropriate address above. Additional information (such as guidelines for statement and portfolio) are posted on the NEOMFA Apply site.
Proceed to "Step 3," which is Apply Now. Follow the instructions on the subsequent pages. (You may complete part of the application and return later to complete it if you need to do so: information will be saved.)
Submit or request submission of other application materials when required by your specific program:
- Statement of Goals (one page) may be submitted during online application process into a form provided; you may also mail your statement to Graduate Studies (GS) at firstname.lastname@example.org (International applications to email@example.com). See the NEOMFA web site for guidance on the Statement of Goals.
- Request that your letters of recommendation be e-mailed or sent to GS at firstname.lastname@example.org (international applications to OGE at email@example.com).
- Attach a portfolio, or e-mail or mail your portfolio to GS at firstname.lastname@example.org (international applications to OGE email@example.com). See the NEOMFA web site for guidance on portfolio requirements.
- Request transcripts from all colleges attended (sent directly by your registrar to GS).
- Application Fee (submit online)
- For International applications, submit TOEFL or equivalent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, see English Language Proficiency.
Review Application Status
After you have submitted your application, you can always go back to Apply Now (login link at bottom of page) to view the status of your application to view which materials have been received and what is still missing from your application. Only completed applications will be considered for admission and/or assistantships.