The English Department awards a number of Teaching Fellowships (TFs) to qualified applicants each academic year.
- Priority applications, received by January 15, are automatically considered for a TF.
- The TF carries a yearly stipend of $17,000 (beginning Fall 2020), a tuition waiver, and partial reimbursement of heath insurance.
- TFs are required to take a graduate course, ENG 61094, Introduction to Research in the Teaching of College Writing, the summer prior to their appointment. Tuition is waived, and a summer stipend is provided.
- Students in their first year of PhD study teach in the first year writing program.
- Students are eligible to fulfill part of their service requirements in other service positions, which are described in the Rhetoric and Composition Handbook.
- Students in Year 3 and 4 may apply for and are offered opportunities to teach other courses in the undergraduate program.