undergraduate | 1537477800 | Kent State University


How do I schedule an advising appointment?

Students can meet with a Department of Psychological Sciences Advisor, an Academic Advisor in the College of Arts & Sciences, or a Faculty Advisor.  Learn more about each type of advising, and which advisor might best meet your needs, by visiting our Advising webpage.  You may view advising availability and schedule an appointment with a Department of Psychological Sciences Advisor by clicking here.  You may view advising availabil

I’m not sure what I want to do after I graduate. I might want to work or go to graduate school. Who can give me career advice?

There are quite a few ways to gather more information.  First, check out the material on our resource racks – located across from the elevators on the first floor of Kent Hall and the Kent Hall Addition for some general career-related information.  Second, consider scheduling an appointment with a Faculty Advisor or a Department of Psychological Sciences Advisor.  Third, meet with a Career Coach in the Career Exploration and Development office (

What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in psychology?

The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree is primarily designed for students interested in becoming a practitioner (e.g., someone who works in an applied setting, primarily working one-on-one or in small groups with other individuals – such as a counselor, therapist, social worker, etc.) after graduating.  The Bachelor of Science (BS) degree is primarily designed for students interested in becoming a researcher, scholar, neuroscientist, and/or attending medical school after graduating.  Both the BA and BS degree can prepare students for graduate school programs.  Take our short “

How can I fulfill my writing intensive requirement?

All psychology students must complete the writing intensive requirement. To fulfill this requirement, most students take Writing in Psychology (PSYC 41990), which is a one-credit hour course recommended to be taken in the same semester as Research Methods in Psychology (PSYC 31574). To register for this course, e-mail Tracie Roberts (trober29@kent.edu) to acquire the necessary special approvals. Alternatively, students may choose to take one of our Laboratory Experience in Psychology courses (PSYC 41573/41574).

What is the difference between Laboratory Experience in Psychology (PSYC 41573/41574) and Undergraduate Research (PSYC 31498/41498)?

Laboratory Experience in Psychology (PSYC 41573/41574) is a 3-credit hour course that can be used to fulfill the writing intensive requirement. Undergraduate Research/Individual Investigation (PSYC 31498/41498) is a 1-6 variable credit-hour experience working as a research assistant in a psychology faculty member’s research lab. Every credit hour of PSYC 31498/41498 requires a minimum 45 hour commitment in one’s lab throughout the semester (e.g., approximately 3-4 hours per week during a Fall/Spring semester).