Hosting a Visiting Scholar
Below is information for faculty members and departments interested in hosting a visiting scholar. We must receive the Prospective Scholar Information Form, the Request for Form DS-2019, and the Department Chair Authorization Form in order to process a DS-2019, which the scholar must have in order to apply for a J visa. If you have any questions, please feel free to call (330-672-7980) or email email@example.com.
For an overview of the scholar request process and the documents that we need, please read our Scholar Request Guide (PDF).
OGE will help your J-1 exchange visitor maintain legal immigration status. However, we need your assistance.
As the host of a J-1 exchange visitor, you must agree to be responsible for ensuring that:
- The J-1 visitor must possess sufficient proficiency in the English language to participate in the exchange program. You will need to set up either a Skype appointment or phone appointment to determine that the exchange visitor has sufficient proficiency in the English language to function in an English-speaking environment.
- The J-1 visitor physically reports to OGE within 30 days of arrival in the U.S. The J-1 visitor must bring his or her immigration documents and those of any J-2 dependents.
- The J-1 visitor maintains adequate health insurance for the duration of his or her program.
- The minimum health insurance requirements are determined by the U.S. Department of State and listed on page two of form DS-2019
- OGE is notified within 10 days when the J-1 visitor changes his/her residential address.
- OGE is notified if a scholar does not arrive within 30 days of the program start date as indicated on form DS-2019.
- The J-1 visitor meets regularly with you to review program activities and progress.
- The J-1 visitor understands that he or she cannot engage in professional activities that are not included on the form DS-2019 without prior written approval from you. Employment or other types of payment that are not specified on the form DS-2019 must have prior written approval from you and from OGE.
OGE must be notified when the J-1 visit ends his/her J-1 program for any reason, including:
- The J-1 has completed the program as scheduled.
- The J-1 completed before the end date on the DS-2019.
- The J-1 wishes to transfer to a different J-1 sponsor.
- The J-1 is changing status to a different visa type.
- The J-1 has left the University before completing the program.
Purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program
The purpose of the J Exchange Visitor Program is to implement the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act (Fulbright-Hayes Act) of 1961, “to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges.”
Visiting Scholars at KSU
Academic departments are encouraged to take advantage of KSU’s designation as a U.S. Department of State approved Exchange Visitor Program. Scholars typically collaborate on research or teach courses, but may come for purposes of observing, training, or lecturing. Departments should designate a faculty host to assist the exchange visitor once he or she arrives to campus. In order to provide the prospective exchange visitor with adequate time to obtain a J-1 visa, make travel arrangements, etc., please complete and submit this form to the Office of Global Education as early as possible. Please be aware that for scholars coming more than 8 months in advance, OGE can only make documents 4-6 months in advance.
Persons with tenure track positions, clinical residencies or student positions (e.g. Research Assistant) are NOT eligible for J-1 Professor, Scholar, or Short Term Scholar documents.
- This form should be completed by the scholar before the other forms are filled out.
- This form should be completed by the hosting department only after the Scholar Information and DS-2019 Request Form has been completed by the scholar.
- This form should be completed by the chair or director of the hosting department only after the Scholar Information and DS-2019 Request Form has been completed by the scholar, and the Faculty Host Approval Form has been completed by the hosting faculty or staff member.