The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program honors Senator Barry Goldwater, who served as a soldier and statesman for 56 years. The purpose of the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation is to alleviate a shortage of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers.
Goldwater Scholarships may cover eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually.
The Foundation will award undergraduate merit scholarships to outstanding students. To be considered for nomination, a student must:
- Be a full-time sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited institution;
- Have the intent to pursue careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering;
- Have a college grade-point average of at least a “B” and be in the upper further of his or her class;
- Be a United States Citizen or a permanent resident.
Required elements of the application include:
- Institutional Nomination
- Nominee Application Form
- Nominee Essay
- Official Academic Transcripts
Application Schedule and Deadlines
- Application Deadline Late January
(Online Submission of Student Application, Recommendations, and Faculty Representative Nomination)
- Supporting Document Early February
- Status Notification Late March
End of first week of spring semester prior to academic year of award.
For more information, visit the Barry Goldwater Foundation website.