Jennifer Biggs, MSN, RN, CHSE
I am the Simulation Lab Coordinator for Kent State University’s College of Nursing. I obtained my Masters in the Science of Nursing Education at Kent State University and my BSN from Ursuline College. My background is 14 years as a registered nurse in high-risk obstetrical nursing.
As faculty, I have taught informatics and leadership classes as well as numerous parent and newborn clinicals in various northeastern Ohio hospitals over the last 12 years. During my time as full-time faculty, we have increased our use of simulation to include every undergraduate nursing course and some graduate courses.
The highlights of these improvements include a disaster simulation working with our local county emergency response team, integration of theatre department student actors as standardized patients, doubling our simulation space and equipment, development of simulation scenarios, and the creation of an electronic medication scanning system.
I have presented on the topics of theatre students in simulation, interdisciplinary care of the patient at the end-of-life, and collaboration between higher learning institutions. I have also successfully co-authored 2 grants for improvements in our simulation lab.
- NURS 40089 - International Health Care
- Rafferty-Semon, P., Jarzembak, J., Shanholtzer, J., (January 31, 2017) "Simulating Complex Community Disaster Preparedness: Collaboration for Point of Distribution" OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing Vol. 22, No. 1, Manuscript 3.
- NTT professional Excellence Award, 2017
- NTT professional Excellence Award, 2016
- NTT professional Excellence Award, 2015
- NTT professional Excellence Award, 2014
- Shanholtzer, J. & Jarzembak, J. 2014. Kent State University Institutional Advancement. 2015- 2016 Foundation Grant Program. Request to purchase intravenous smart pumps. $14,000. 8/2015- 5/2016. Funded
- Rafferty-Semon, P., Shanholtzer, J., & Jarzembak, J. 2014. Kent State University Office of Experiential Education and Civic Engagement. The Engaged Experiential Education Instructional Mini-Grant. Creating Partnerships in Preparing the Community for Di
- Van Baars, E., Fritsche, A., Jarzembak, J., & Shanholtzer, J. 2014. Kent State University Institutional Advancement. 2015- 2016 Foundation Grant Program. Request to fund collaboration with School of Theatre and Dance. $8,000. 8/2015- 5/2016. Funded
- Certified in Inpatient Obstetrical Nursing
- Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator