Apply for Graduation
Congratulations on reaching this point in your academic career! Graduation is a very exciting time, however, you must complete a few tasks before you are eligible to graduate.
You will need to apply for graduation at the start of the semester prior to your last semester of coursework. (You should meet with your academic advisor if you are uncertain about your graduation date.)
Be sure to submit your application before the deadline.
- Before you begin your application, log into FlashLine, then review your personal information by clicking on Settings button, then scrolling down to the Secure Account Access section.
- Then find the Apply for Graduation link under Student > Resources > Graduation in FlashLine.
- Review and acknowledge the Important Information Concerning Your Graduation Application page.
- Select and submit your curriculum.
- Select and submit your graduation term.
- Review your information for accuracy and submit your request.
- Print the Graduation Application Acknowledgment page for your records.
- View submitted graduation applications by clicking on the link at the bottom of your acknowledgment page or from the link in your Graduation / Commencement channel.
Contact your advisor immediately if:
- There are any extra or missing major, concentration, minor, or certificate programs on your graduation application. (Please note: failure to declare the exact programs you want on your transcript may result in your not graduating in the term you applied for.)
- You have questions regarding your remaining requirements.
Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by and acted on appropriately by the Office of Student Services.
It is your responsibility to be aware of all degree requirements and University deadlines. If you have any questions about your graduation eligibility, contact your advisor as soon as possible.
Please note: All graduation applications are only valid for the semester for which they were submitted. If you previously applied and were not approved for a prior semester, you will need to submit a “Late/Reapplication” graduation application. This is available on FlashLine, under Student > Resources > Graduation. This application should be printed and submitted to the Office of Student Services for processing.
A note about your diploma: The name used on the Application for Graduation MUST be the same as the name that is officially registered with the university. This information will be used for graduation information, diplomas, NCLEX (state board) applications, etc., so please complete the information accurately.
Also be aware that if you have "restricted" your personal information within the university, this information will be withheld and not listed in the commencement program or be released to the press.
If you would like to remove your "restriction," you will need to make the change yourself in FlashLine by completing the Cancellation of Restriction form (type "restriction" in the search bar to locate) prior to the end of your last semester.
A name change requires presenting official documentation no less than one month before commencement. If you have any questions, please call the One Stop for Student Services at (330) 672-6000
During the semester prior to your anticipated graduation, the Office of Student Services will review your academic record and verify that you’ve completed your degree requirements. You will then receive a notice in writing from Student Services confirming that your remaining coursework will meet degree requirements or, if needed, coursework which is still needed.
During your final semester you will also receive information on:
- Convocation (pinning ceremony)
- Ordering a nursing pin
- Your Ohio Board of Nursing application
- The NCLEX Exam
As you complete your graduation semester, you will receive information on:
- Commencement (graduation) ceremony from Commencement/University Ceremonies
- Ordering your cap and gown
For specific concerns regarding commencement, please contact: Commencement Office (330) 672-2235 or visit www.kent.edu/commencement/. Your application for graduation triggers all of the above actions, so please do not delay.
Once your degree has been posted, which is typically several weeks following graduation, Student Services will send a letter of completion to the Ohio Board of Nursing. You will be responsible for scheduling your State Boards and NCLEX. Please be advised that states that are not part of the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC), may require additional coursework or certification to be cleared for licensure. Please contact the Office of Student Services at (330) 672-8769 if you have any questions about specific states.
If you are submitting a thesis or dissertation, you must complete and submit it in accordance with the Style Guide and Instructions for Preparing Thesis and Dissertations
Register for an ETD informational seminar and review the University Libraries ETD website for guidelines for preparing and submitting your document.