Kent State's 100% online MSN/MBA dual degree program will prepare you to assume mid- and upper-level leadership positions in various healthcare settings.
Offered in partnership with the top-ranked Kent State University Ambassador Crawford College of Business and Entrepreneurship, the dual degree is for experienced nurses whose career goals include assuming middle or executive management positions in health services agencies or in health-related companies, or who are interested in starting their own businesses.
It combines the strengths of advanced nursing preparation with the practical management knowledge needed to develop significant leadership capabilities.
Coursework is integrated and concurrent, and you will develop competencies in leadership, problem-solving, and interpersonal/group management skills. You'll also receive exceptional practicum experiences with leaders and managers in health care who have nursing and/or business backgrounds.
Kent State's Nursing Administration & Health Systems Leadership concentration will prepare you for mid- to upper-level management, administrative, and leadership positions in a variety of healthcare settings.
The 100% online Nursing Administration & Health Systems Leadership MSN/Post-graduate Certificate concentration integrates management and nursing knowledge for students to develop skills and competencies in management, health care leadership, and advanced nursing.
In this concentration, students are exposed to a holistic approach to leadership and management. Courses cover essential managerial/executive competencies, with a unique emphasis on health care policy and the legal and regulatory issues facing the healthcare leader.
Practicum experiences pair students with healthcare administrators, managers, and executives from top organizations in the region for mentoring and development. Since there are two practicum courses, students can explore multiple leadership paths under the guidance of their faculty advisor.
Why Kent State? We offer you:
Expert faculty. Students receive mentorship and advising from faculty who bring unique perspectives grounded in clinical and management experience, and bring excitement and interest to their teaching and research.
Excellent online courses. Classes are held 100% online and delivered by expert nurses and business professionals via leading edge instructional technology.
Maximum flexibility. Start in the fall or spring semester and complete the program full or part-time.
Affordability. The program costs only $536 per credit hour*, no matter where you live.**
( +12/credit hour for online classes and $10/credit hour online program fee for online programs.)
Credibility. Kent State’s graduate nursing and business programs are recognized by employers and universities around the world for their excellence.
Hands-on learning. Students complete 300 practicum hours with healthcare administrators, managers, and executives in the state in which they reside.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
Acquire educational eligibility to meet standards for advanced practice certification or other advanced professional distinction.
Acquire competencies based on professional standards to assume advanced roles in nursing, and for leadership and career advancement, including doctoral study.
Communicate, integrate and apply advanced nursing knowledge and skills to provide evidence-based, culturally sensitive nursing care and promote quality outcomes in nursing and health care.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Use critical thinking skills to apply analytical models and concepts to make business decisions.
- Present business knowledge and decisions individually and as a team.
- Understand the ethical and legal implications of business decisions.
- Understand the impact of globalization on business decisions.
* For the MSN/MBA, the cost of business courses depends on your primary degree selection. Consult with your advisor.
**This program is only offered in select states. See the Admissions section for more information.
Meet the Faculty
Learn more about the Nursing Administration & Health Systems Leadership course instructors:
JD, MSN, RN, C-MBC
The Master of Science in Nursing at Kent State is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education†. The Ambassador Crawford College of Business and Entrepreneurship at Kent State is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in business and accounting – an accreditation earned by fewer than 5% of business schools worldwide. Kent State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Kent State: An NLN Center of Excellence
Kent State University is a three-time designated Center of Excellence in Nursing Education by the National League for Nursing (2013-2017, 2017-2022, 2022-2026). We are recognized in the "Advancing the Science of Nursing Education" category for our dedication to innovative and evidence-based nursing education.
Is the GMAT or GRE required? Yes for MSN/MBA dual degree applicants. No for MSN and Post-graduate Certificate applicants.
International applicants: Under most student visas, international applicants are not eligible to complete online-based programs. We strongly encourage international applicants to discuss their eligibility with the Office of Global Education at +1-330-672-7980 or email@example.com prior to applying.
Courses are 100% online – students are never required to come to campus.
Approved States for Online Learning
Kent State University is authorized to offer the Nursing Administration & Health Systems Leadership program in the following states:*
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
* In order to be compliant with federal and state laws related to online education and consumer protection, as well as State professional licensure/certification regulations, Kent State University may not be able to offer online programs to students residing in certain states. In addition, some state laws may impose limitations that could affect a program of study, including inability to offer clinical practicum courses. Since these regulations undergo continuous updates (1) non-Ohio residents interested in pursuing any College of Nursing online program are advised to consult with their State licensing/certification agency and official Kent State information on state authorization before applying to this program (2) any student that is planning to move or practice in a different state after having been admitted to either the RN BSN, MSN or DNP programs must immediately inform the Office of Student Services at 330-672-7911 to determine whether or not he/she can continue in the program.
Tuition & Aid
A top-tier education at an affordable price.
Tuition & Costs at a Glance
As a public institution, we see it as our duty to offer the highest-quality education at a cost that is within the reach of students from all backgrounds.
For more information about tuition and fees, visit www.kent.edu/nursing/students/tuition.
At Kent State University, we try to make the financial aid process as simple as possible. Our financial aid services and scholarship programs help a wide range of students make their goals affordable. Financial aid options for Nursing Administration & Health Systems Leadership students include:
- Tuition Reimbursement: Many employers will pay some or all of the cost of a graduate degree program. Talk with your human resources department to find out if you qualify.
- Scholarships: Kent State University, the College of Nursing, and many nursing and health care organizations provide scholarship support for nursing students. See our Financial Aid & Scholarships page for more information.
- Federal Loans and Grants: You may be eligible for federal and/or private loans and federal/state grants. Contact the One Stop for Student Services at 330-672-6000 for more information.
Tuition can be paid online using a credit card or check, by mail with a check, or in-person with a check.
Monthly payment plan options are available.* Tuition can be spread out over 3, 4, or 5 monthly payments.
Students who are receiving tuition reimbursement through their employer can apply to defer tuition payment to after the semester ends.*
* Fall and spring semester only
Online Learning at Kent State
E-learning is unparalleled at Kent State University.
Kent State online students have access to the same resources as on-campus students, without ever stepping foot on campus. From applying to the program to applying for graduation, Kent State provides the tools to complete these tasks online.
Although there are no on-campus requirements, online students are more than welcome to visit our campus in Kent, Ohio (or take a virtual tour online). You will be invited to various events throughout your time at Kent State, including our pinning (Convocation) and graduation (Commencement) ceremonies.
Some of the benefits to earning your graduate degree online from Kent State include:
- Courses developed by expert faculty and delivered via Canvas, industry-leading learning management systems (LMSs).
- Small class sizes and individualized attention from nurse educators with decades of practical experience.
- Innovative learning activities tailored to the online environment.
- 24/7 technical support through Kent State’s TechHelp.
- Tests and exams proctored virtually – no need to go to a testing center.
- FlashLine, the university’s centralized portal system, will allow you to schedule classes, track your degree progress, schedule advising appointments, pay your tuition, and more right from your computer.