Professional nurses are in great demand.
The nursing field is exciting and offers a variety of interesting challenges along the way. A career in nursing can consist of many components, including emotional support, leadership, physical strength, mental agility and a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment. Not only can nursing be very rewarding, it is one of the fastest-growing careers in one of the highest-paying fields today and for years to come.
Discover why you should choose nursing as your future profession!
Top Reasons to Choose Nursing
1. Fast Growth & Job Security
Due to the baby boomer generation retiring and the ramifications from Covid-19, there is currently a shortage of qualified nurses in the United States. In fact, according to a recent report by the US Department of Labor, there are more projected jobs for registered nurses than almost every other profession.
Indeed, obtaining your RN license may be the key to future job security, but data from the American Association of Colleges of Nursing shows that nurses with bachelor's (BSN) degrees are more likely to get a job right out of school than their fellow peers in other fields, as well as more likely to gain employment than nurses with Associate (ADN) degrees.
2. Ability to grow professionally
Professional growth is easy as a nurse. You will always have the opportunity to seek additional education to move up in an organization or even change your focus as a nurse.
At Kent State, we offer many degree programs for the registered nurse, such as:
- The Nursing for Registered Nurses (RN-to-BSN) program designed for the RN to complete their BSN in an online format;
- 10 Master’s Degree concentrations for bachelor-prepared nurses who would like to become Clinical Nurse Specialists, Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Educators, or healthcare managers/executives;
- The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program for bachelor's and masters-prepared nurses who would like to become expert clinicians, and;
- The Ph.D. in Nursing program for nurses who are interested in research and the science of nursing.
No matter where you are in your professional journey, the programs at Kent State can help you reach the next milestone.
3. Do you want choice in your career? No problem!
Nursing is a broad field that goes way beyond the bedside. Are you interested in saving lives on an ambulatory helicopter? Maybe you’d like your own practice someday, where you’d see children, women or the elderly? How about traveling the world and saving lives in third world countries?
When you are a nurse, you have all of these opportunities and more! And since most nursing positions also offer flexible schedules, you’ll always be able to get additional training to realize your goals.